View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #206
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of Castle Death

This is, within hesitation, my least favorite of the Magnakai. It’s clichéd, boring, and dull, with virtually no plot, and nothing interesting. Having the evil place collapse at the end, so cliché. Go into the Evil Place from whom none can return, and kill the Big Bad, and return with the Holy Thing. How humdrum. The writing isn’t even that good. Normally, Dever will spend some time exploring his world a bit, but there is nothing to do that with here. The only interesting thing was finding Paido’s brother, which was quite predictable.

It’s not even a good adventure for findings lots of goodies unless you are brand new. If you are new, you can get a shield, padded waistcoat and helmet in order to build yourself up. The many fights are either super hard or pretty easy. The backpack loss at the end feels superfluous, it doesn’t add to the story. In my opinion, by book number, from best to worst, here is how I find the Magnakai series:

12-10-9-11-8-6-7

Well, 8 is to come, and then the good books start. I mean, hey, Castle Death is solid compared to other Fighting Fantasy style game books, but Lone Wolf is supposed to be the best, and thus it has a higher set of expectations.

End of Castle Death

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote