View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #227
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A bead of sweat on Paido's forehead is the first sign of his recovery. Slowly he stirs to consciousness, waking from a sleep that was so nearly his last. He can remember nothing of the ordeal, and when you tell him what has happened he shakes his head in disbelief. 'A Helghast?' he says, incredulously. 'How can it be?'

'The servants of Darklord Gnaag have infiltrated this monastery,' you reply. 'They have kept themselves hidden, but I fear the day is fast approaching when they will rise up and wreak their havoc. Already they know our true identities, and I wager they know why we're here.'

'This is bitter news, Lone Wolf,' replies Paido, his face etched with worry. 'We can afford to delay no longer. If Talestria falls to Darklord Gnaag before we reach the Danarg, then the quest is lost.' You nod in agreement, and as you cast your eyes along the gloomy passageway, you cannot help but wonder if the quest is already lost. With a shake of your head you dismiss the thought and help Paido to his feet.

The passage follows a tortuous path that leads eventually to a paneled door. A raised button activates the lock, and the door slides into the wall to reveal a strange room. Domed and hexagonal, its walls are hung with tapestries depicting strange and grotesque creatures. Numerous plinths stand upon the richly carpeted floor, each supporting a large bowl filled to the brim with a silvery liquid. Cautiously you step through the secret portal and into this sumptuous chamber.

One of the bowls begins to emit a faint humming sound. The surface of its silvery liquid swirls and glows brighter, casting a phosphorescent light on to the domed ceiling. The sparkling mist slowly clears and a strange image takes shape, condensing and forming into something wholly alien, something that resembles the head of a monstrous fly. Its great multi-faceted eyes stare down at you, gleaming darkly with black fire, like two huge clusters of evil jewels.

'Tan-ash-oka, Nadoknar Gnaag!' booms a ghastly, rasping voice. Then, with a stifled cry of rage and recognition, the image clouds over and the light fades to a dull glow. The terrible visage of Darklord Gnaag has disappeared.

'By the gods!' gasps Paido, shocked to the core by what he has seen. 'What manner of beast was that?' But you do not reply, for you sense that he already knows the dreadful answer.

Swiftly you search the chamber. Behind a throne-like chair of chiseled stone you discover several useful items: a Sword, a Bow, 3 Arrows and enough food for 2 Meals. Also, set into the back of the chair, is a lever. It activates a portal in the opposite wall. The tapestry that conceals it is drawn aside, and you can see a stairway, flanked by torches, descending to a passage far below.

'Come,' says Paido. 'This room chills my blood.' You move to follow him as he descends the stairs, stopping briefly to kick over the bowl of glowing, silvery liquid that projected the image of Darklord Gnaag.

(I take the arrows and the Helghast’s Sword.)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote