View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #233
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You arrive at a mound where a tree bearing blood-red fruit overhangs a pool of crystal-clear water. You stop to rest and to dislodge the tiny leeches that are feasting on your legs.

Paido climbs the tree to scan the horizon. He carries with him a starguider, a homing device invented by the Elder Magi to enable their flying ships to navigate in the dark. It is sensitive to the vibrations given off by korlinium crystals. The spire of the Temple of Ohrido is solid korlinium, and the Elder Magi have set Paido's starguider to home in on the vibrations emitted by the spire. By following the direction of the signals, it is hoped that you will be able to find the lost temple.

Whilst Paido is busy adjusting the starguider, you decide to investigate your surroundings.

I try to look at the fruit. They look delicious. Do I have Huntmastery? Yup. It tells me the tree is dead and these cannot be fruit, they are carnivorous animals. I choose attack a fruit. It dies and the others choose to fall off the tree and open up, revealing legs, and scurry away.

Quote:

When Paido finally climbs down from the tree, his face betrays his anxiety. 'What is wrong?' you ask impatiently.

'There is no signal,' he replies. 'I have scanned every direction with the starguider, but it can detect no korlinium signal. It isn't damaged, of that I'm sure. It's simply as if the temple has disappeared.'

You take the device from Paido's hand and climb the twisted tree trunk. He shouts instructions and you set the starguider into operation, scanning the distant horizon and waiting for the tell-tale click that will reveal the direction of the lost temple of the Elder Magi. But Paido is right--there is no signal; and without a signal there is no hope of finding the Lorestone of Ohrido.

You are about to abandon the search and jump down from the tree when you see something on the northern horizon that you hadn't noticed before. An island of red volcanic rock rises out of the mire, one of four flat-topped islands grouped in a diamond close to the eastern edge of the crater. Perhaps the temple is on the other side of that island. Perhaps that is why the starguider will emit no signal?

You climb down and ask Paido what he thinks. He stares to the north and ponders the problem. 'Yes, it is possible,' he says thoughtfully, 'it is just possible.'

Hope returns and your spirits rise with the expectation of finding the lost temple beyond the isle of red rock. You set off without delay, anxious to cover the ten-mile trek before the sun sets and darkness engulfs the Danarg.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote