View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #236
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The thought of returning to the dangers of the Danarg fills you with dread. Paido senses your anxiety. 'Don't look so dismayed,' he says, still smiling. 'This temple will provide the means for our safe return, you will see.' Intrigued by his answer, you follow in silence as he leads you through the archway and up a long flight of marble stairs to another chamber, also constructed of crystal but veined with a marble that glistens like liquid fire. It is solid korlinium. At the centre of the chamber, its hull resting on a cradle of steel, is a Levitron--an ancient skyship. Like everything else that you have seen in this wondrous temple, the craft is untarnished by time. Paido ushers you aboard and prepares to power the craft. A shudder runs through the hull as the engines rise in pitch and slowly it lifts from its bed of steel. The chamber is built in the spire of the temple and the roof now slides open to allow the Levitron to rise into the darkening sky above the Danarg.

Paido sets the controls and sets the ship's starguider on a course for Elzian. Then he joins you at the bow-rail for one last look at the Temple of Ohrido. It glows red in the light of the setting sun, but the shimmering glow is blemished by shadows that swoop back and forth across its tiers. You assume it is just a trick of the twilight, until your ears are filled by a sudden and terrifying shriek.

You look up to see a squadron of black-winged Kraan swooping down on the Levitron. On the backs of these leathery creatures ride red-robed Vordaks, hideous servants of the Darklords of Helgedad. In their skeletal hands they wield staves of black iron which crackle with blue fire. As a Kraan screams past, a stream of liquid blue flame pours from its rider's staff.

Do I have the Sommerswerd? Nope. Two Vordaks leap to the vessel and I have to fight them both, quickly. If I have not killed them both in 4 rounds, the gig is up.

Vordak 1 CS 22, EP 28
Vordak 2 CS 21, EP 26

I have - 2 to my CS because of immunity to Mindblast and no Psi-Screen. I roll 8 twice and actually kill the first one, amazingly. I have two rounds to kill the second. It’s a bit easier because my CV is raised to the next column.. I roll a 3rd 8, and it takes 14. 7, 8, 9 and 0 kill it. I roll a FOURTH freakin.8 8 in a row. Dang. Now, in fact, I’d do what most do in this combat and make it 5 rounds not 4, because Joe Dever made this battle WAAAAAY too hard, and we’ll talk about how in a bit.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote