View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #238
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay, review time. The end Vordak fight really is the worst end fight in the books for a beginner. If you start with Book 8, and take Psi-Surge, Weaponmastery, and quaff an Alether pot you can find in the book, you add 9 to your starting CS for the final battle. If you roll a 0, 1, 2, or 3, for your initial CS it is impossible to win the battle. The original text actually read more than 5 rounds turn immediately to the section that destroys your ship. So it is possible it is an editing screw up. Even if you roll a 4, 5, or 6 you do not even have a ONE PERCENT chance of winning the final battle in 4 rounds. If you started with a 17, and had perfect skills and the path to get the Alether, you would have a 1.62% chance of winning. An 8, 4.59% chance. You needed the Silver Helmets and Bronin Warhammer and Circle bonuses, and shield, etc.

Now, if you had the Sommerswerd, they have the exact same stats, so that is one of the few places in the Magnakai series where having the Sommerswerd is a good thing.

Now, I like the Black Shadow Against the World feel of The Jungle of Horrors, although it all seems very fast. Gnaag goes from winning to all out nasty war in just a few months. It seems like it would take more.

Oh, as a little aside, you won’t learn this for a long while, but two Darklords died from the civil war that Gnaag won. That means five of the original 20 Darklords have now died, two at my hand, Zagorna and Haakon, two in the civil war, and Vashna by King Ulnar and the Sommerswerd at the Maakengorge.

Okay, the book is alright. It’s not super great or anything, but is better than the previous two. I’d put it on Caverns of Kalte level. There are still some annoying auto deaths. For example, drink that water, and you die. The Gnaag Helghast was written poorly with its assumption that if you didn’t have the Sommerswerd, you didn’t have anything magical at all.

End of The Jungle of Horrors.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote