View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #245
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Grassland, treeless, boring, just a few hills to mark our passage. Afternoon crawls to evening and we arrive at the village of Chadi and the warmth of Guyuk’s Tavern. A single room with abed is 4 crowns and I pays it. There are no bars or counters in Anarian tavern, there are just long tables that everyone sits at, together. I get a key and a glass of lovka, a local liquor, on the house. A main, with some kids is gambling with some farmers. I can order food, talk to Guyuk or head down to gamble city.

In Anari it is illegal to gamble on games of chance, so instead people tell riddles. I choose to bet:

A hush descends as you wait for the riddle patiently. The father, whose name is Khmar, draws his dagger from its scabbard and lays it on the table. Then he rests his hand on the shoulder of his eldest son and says, 'This dagger is now half as old as my son Loen was when the dagger was new. Loen is now fifteen years old. How old is the dagger?'

5 years is the obvious answer. Loen would have been ten when it was new, so the dagger now, at 5, is half that.

I am right, and I can take two items from Khmar. I take Jadin Anklets and Scroll of Honour. I order a meal. It’s very tasty and Banedon is feeling generous and pays.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote