View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #248
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Soon you arrive at a part of the city that Banedon remembers well. It borders a large public garden called the Rainbow Park, so named because of the vast number of rare and colourful flowers that grow there. The park is now an encampment for those who have answered the President's desperate call for defenders. Survivors from the towns of Resa and Zila have joined forces with green-clad Daroga woodsmen, tough hill-dwellers from the Chah mountain valley, and river-folk from the Churdas, forming regiments to reinforce the Tahou garrison. Their battle-stained banners, lit by the flickering glow of a hundred camp fires, flutter above the tents that fill the great park.

Opposite the entrance stands the Guildhall of Tailors. You turn into an avenue running beside this imposing hall, then cross into the North District by means of alleys and side streets, and finally emerge at Leech Street, just opposite the house of Chiban the Magician. His is a grand building of polished red stone set with small, diamond-paned windows that twinkle like cat's eyes in the moonlight. You pass beneath its arched gateway and climb the magnificent tiled steps that lead to a black oak door. Banedon raps the knocker and you wait patiently for it to open.

Minutes later the great door swings aside and the aristocratic figure of Chiban stands framed in the doorway. Keen-eyed and grey-haired, he welcomes you both with surprise and delight.

'Banedon!' he exclaims, like a father reunited with a long lost son. 'How good it is to see you. But what brings you to Tahou at this darkest of hours? Have you come to offer your skills in the defence of our beleaguered city?'

'My services are yours to command, my lord Chiban,' answers Banedon, bowing respectfully to his former mentor. 'Yet also I return to your esteemed household to seek your help at the behest of King Ulnar of Sommerlund. May I introduce my companion--Lone Wolf.'

Chiban turns his kindly gaze on you and smiles knowingly. 'I am honoured to meet you, Kai Lord,' he says. 'I have knowledge of that which you seek and I shall aid you all I can in your search for it.'

He beckons you to enter and the door closes behind you, seemingly of its own accord. You follow Chiban to his study. The musty room is lined with massive wooden racks full of books and papers. At its centre a large, circular table is completely covered with the implements of his magical researches. He clears a space amid the clutter and motions you to sit. 'You must both be famished after your journey here. Come, eat and enjoy!' For a few seconds, a shimmering pool of light fills the space, then fades, leaving a sumptuous meal of grilled trout, baked potatoes, hakeroot and sparkling Anarian wine.

If you have lost any ENDURANCE points on your adventure so far, you may now restore 3 points as you consume this delicious meal.

When you have finished your meal, you talk at length about your journey from Dessi and your quest for the Lorestone of Tahou. Chiban produces a map of the city, which he unfurls on the floor of his study, the only surface not cluttered with magical equipment. With his toe he points to the location of the Tahou Cauldron: it is in the Square of the Dragons in the West District of the city.

'The Cauldron is a funnel-shaped hollow with a circular shaft at its base. The shaft descends to the ruins of the ancient city of Zaaryx, 500 feet below the streets of Tahou. Legend tells us that the Lorestone was thrown into the Cauldron to prevent the Black Zakhan of Vassagonia from capturing it during the Great Khordaim War. The shaft was closed off and has remained sealed for the past 360 years.' He looks up from the map and you notice that his smiling features are now sad and composed.

'At dawn the armies of Darklord Gnaag will be at the gates of the city and the battle of Tahou will have begun. My duty is here, in the defence of my beloved city, otherwise I would willingly accompany you on our search. There is only one man who can help you now, for he is the only one that can grant you access to the shaft that descends to Zaaryx. He is President Toltuda of Anari. Come, I will arrange an audience with him immediately.'

With a casual wave of his hand, Chiban conjures up a quill and sheet of parchment. He begins to dictate the request for an audience, and the quill moves of its own accord, as if guided by an invisible hand. The request, once completed, is then dispatched by messenger to the Anarium, the House of the Senate, where members of the governing council have gathered for an emergency assembly called for by the President himself. Within the hour the messenger returns with a scroll bearing the presidential seal.

'He has agreed to hear your plea, Lone Wolf,' says the aged magician, his ice-blue eyes scanning the official reply. Banedon congratulates you and you feel your spirits rise, but Chiban seems a little disappointed. 'I was expecting a private audience,' he says, 'but in view of the current situation, I suppose it is the best we can hope for. You must appear before the Senate this evening and state your reasons for wishing to enter the Tahou Cauldron. They will consider your request and vote accordingly. If they grant their approval, only you may enter. If they forbid you entry, you may not appeal against it. Their decision will be final.'

He hands you the scroll and arranges for his personal coach to take you to the Anarium. As you climb into the passenger seat, he and Banedon wish you good luck. 'I shall pray for your success,' says Chiban. 'And I shall pray that we are still alive to see your triumphant return, old friend,' says Banedon, as you exchange a farewell wave.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote