View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #301
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Laptop of Kyle Jacobson, Cal basketball player (and 3-point shooter!!)

Dec. 18, 2033

Yes folks, the great Jacobson family quest has ended. Yours truly hit his first career 3-point shot in a college game! Man, it was awesome. We were playing Notre Dame, no less, and I buried it with authority.

Here’s how it went down. I was having a pretty good game anyway, and we were leading the Irish 97-70 with about two minutes left. A lot of our subs were in, guys like Adam Dunn and Chris McCamey. We set up a high post offense, with me being the high post guy. I took a pass a little higher from the free-throw line than usual, and the Notre Dame defender backed way off me (as would any normal defender against a clumsy, white, 7-1 dude).

I heard Scott Ward on the bench yelling at me: “Gun it, Jakester. Gun it.” Before I knew it I was dribbling, taking a couple steps back and letting my first 3-pointer of the season fly. SWISH!! It was a thing of beauty. I’ve watched the game film a hundred times the past few days, and even Pat Matthew or Ward don’t hit them as sweetly. The fans at the Pavillion went nuts!

I don’t think Coach Victory was all that happy that his 7-1 center was shooting 3-pointers, but he gave me a sly grin afterward anyway. Then he reminded me I had to get back on defense, which I didn’t and Notre Dame scored on a dunk after my shot.

Anyway, in what has been a tough season for me personally, this was definitely the bright spot. We went on to win 109-76 and then topped Boise State 95-44 the following evening to improve to 10-1.

Both of these were my best games yet. Here are some details:

· Notre Dame: 28 minutes, 9 points, 3-of-3 from the field (1-of-1 from 3-point land!!), 2-of-4 from the line, 2 assists, 2 blocks and 8 rebounds. Of course, I had 4 fouls but that’s nothing new…

· Boise State: only 15 minutes but 12 points!! That’s my season and career highs!! I made 5-of-7 shots and a couple of free throws with 4 rebounds. No 3-pointers this time, though. Coach kept me on the bench in the final minutes, maybe because he was scared I was going to launch from downtown again...

The media says we’re playing now the best we ever have under Coach Victory. One ESPN guy already penciled us in as a Final Four team. “They have so many weapons, opponents just don’t know who to stop,” he said.

Especially that seven-footer Jacobson guy who can shoot the three…

Cheers,
KJ3
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote