View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #57
PilotMan
Head Coach

OK so our first year in the Premiership was a success. We were expected to be respectable, but only with a transfer budget of 3.2M. HAAAAAAAA! We were still way, way below our salary budget. In an effort to spend some of that money and give our offense some punch we signed 31yr old, Jozy Altidore on a free and got a young Italian striker on loan.

The board hated Altidore. In fact, the board hated every move I made in the offseason. We spent the year bouncing between 3 keepers (Trying not to burn out our 20 yr old who is getting call ups from England but yet to get capped, and our other guys), and mixing and matching strikers to find some combination that clicked up front. I found that most of my young guys were just out matched and aren't really Premiership quality. Altidore lead the team in scoring but never really got it together. He was maddening to deal with. Our Italian striker despite looking great sucked. He had 1 goal in 14 games. Ugh.

We got hosed in the Cup drawing Chelsea early. So that didn't go great. Despite all that we played really good defense most of the time and finished just over .500 and good enough for 8th place. We even qualified for the Euro Cup qualifiers! HOT DAMN!!!!!

We added some punch this last offseason, a young Turkish international who is already the best striker on the squad and we added an aging 35yr old Luis Suarez who hadn't had a regular starting job in 2 years for depth, and bought an 18-yr old kid off of Manchester United hoping he develops into something offensively minded.

Our opening friendly is against Roma and they lay the smack down to the tune of 5-1. Next thing I know I get a letter from the Board and they tell me they think I could be doing better!!!!!

WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!

We took this POS, semi pro team from the BSS to the Premiership in about years. We brought the team to financial prosperity, more than doubled the size of the stadium, added a kick ass training program, and took the team to a Continental competition! I COULD BE DOING BETTER?!

The board of Maidenhead is officially smoking crack.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote