View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #61
britrock88
Pro Starter

I've probably explained some of this before. I have a career with Salisbury in FM12, beginning in the BSS in the 11-12 season.Quickly built a defensive core (players and coaches), and won promotion via playoffs to the BSP and to L2 in successive seasons.

In L2, we were total outsiders, but still strong enough defensively to claw into the playoffs in our first season, where we ultimately lost. The next season, our professional squad expects better of itself, even though outside opinion-makers still ignored us. This season, we fade down the stretch, and drop from the automatic promotion places into the playoff. In the playoff final, we suffer heartbreak again, losing in extra time.

For our third L2 season, the board ramps up expectations to win promotion, even though they won't offer more than a midtable wage budget. That said, we had fewer bad contracts and a core that remained intact and had developed during the previous seasons. Our main obstacles were injury (we had a terrible field that the board refused to relay until finances were in the black) and competition congestion.

The plus side of the congestion was our progress and paydays in the national tournaments. We won the Johnstone's Paint handily, advanced to the third round of the League Cup, and made the QUARTERFINAL of the FA Cup, defeating several Championship/L1 teams along the way. That buoyed our budgets and finally made it possible for our strikers not to twist their ankles playing home matches. (So much alternating between the 4-5-1 and 4-1-2-1-2...)

We go through the L2 season, typically tied with Colchester with a game or two in hand. This was frustrating because of our excellent goal differential (2.1-0.7, roughly). Championship and L1 teams also swarmed around most of our first eleven (who were more or less L1 quality). But we fight all that off and take the title with 98 points on 46 matches (30-8-8). Woo!

Then, clubs come calling. Teams relegated from the Premiership sniff around, and I finally get a solid offer from Championship side Birmingham. Their offer would increase my salary from $2.1k to $22k/wk, give me a $7m transfer budget, and allow $575k/wk in wages! Wow! Sticking with Salisbury, however, I would have no transfer budget and $67k/wk in wages in our rinky-dink 3,800-person stadium.

So, what does a guy do at this point? ...dance with the one who brung him! The odds have us at 20-1 to win L1, so by all appearances, we will situate well on this new tier. I'm keeping the core together and signing new youngsters with my extra $20k in the wage budget. Let's go Whites!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote