View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Battletech): The Merc Life - A campaign Dynasty

So, with the final rule books out in the current edition of Battletech, I decided to use the rules for creating a force, and running a mercenary based unit.

First things, first: I decided to run a small company-sized (3 lances, 12 battlemechs, with some support), mercenary unit, set in the year 3025, prior to the technological renaissance and the Fourth Succession War. This gives us a chance to experience most of Battletech's recorded history, from the Fourth Succession War, to the Clan Invasion, and all the way to the Word Of Blake, possibly.

Mercenary/Late Succession War - Renaissance - Master Unit List

We have 60 million C-Bills to spend on unites. We're using the Merc/Late Succession Wars list at Battletech's Master Unit List to select mechs.

The composition will not be optimized by any means, I figure as a new Merc unit, we're pretty much restricted to what we take.

Here are the rules for acquiring units:

I select a unit type (For Battlemechs, they are based on weight class, 20-35 is light, 40-55 is medium, 60-75 is heavy, and 80-100 is assault class), and a hoped for experience level (in order from worst to best, Green, Regular, Veteran, Elite), then I have to make a roll on 2D6 to see if that unit is available. If I fail, I cannot attempt that combination of experience and mech unit again, although I can adjust the unit or the experience)

Light BattleMech or Aerospace Fighter, any Satellite TN: 4
Medium BattleMech or Aerospace Fighter TN: 5
Heavy BattleMech or Aerospace Fighter TN 6
Assault BattleMech, any Small Craft TN 8
Light Combat Vehicle TN: 3
Medium Combat Vehicle TN 4
Heavy Combat Vehicle TN: 5
Assault Combat Vehicle TN: 7
Conventional Fighter TN: 5
Conventional Infantry Platoon, Foot TN:2
Conventional Infantry Platoon, Motorized TN: 3
Conventional Infantry Platoon, Jump or Mechanized TN: 4

It then gets modified by the level of experience that we wish to have:
Green Experience -2
Regular Experience 0
Veteran Experience +2
Elite Experience +5

So, expect a lot of failures if we try to get an Assault Battlemech (8) with a Veteran pilot (+2), or 10 on 2d6.

Scout Lance
I start off with a Veteran (2) Spider (SDR-5V) (4) Target Number 6 (Roll 2D6 => 9)- ACQUIRED! (3,000,000 Cost). He'll be our lance leader.

Veteran (2) Commando (COM-2D) (4) Target Number 6 (Roll 2D6 => 4) NOT ACQUIRED. Darn it, if I had just gone with a regular, I would have got it. So the Commando is off my shopping list.

Regular (0) Wasp (WSP-1A) (4) Target Number 4 (Roll 2D6 => 9) ACQUIRED! (1,600,000 Cost).. so we have two members of our Scout Lance.

Veteran (2) Panther (PNT-9R) Target Number 6 (Roll 2D6 => 5). NOT ACQUIRED. Damnit. My greed cost me again. Bah! Bah I say. We can't try for another veteran so, let's try for a regular Panther.

Regular (0) Panther (PNT-9R) (4) Target Number 4 (Roll 2D6 => 7), ACQUIRED! (2.5 Million Cost)

Veteran (2) Valkyrie (VLK-QA) (4) Target Number 6 (Roll 2D6 => 6, ACQUIRED! (2.2 Million Cost). So, our scout lance is complete, we missed three times but we have a good mix of units

So, our Scout Lance is complete:

Veteran Spider (SDR-5V) (Best Role: Scout)*LANCE LEADER*
The Spider carries a very light armament of two Aberdovey Mk III Medium Lasers mounted in its center torso next to the fusion engine. While more expensive than the common Martell lasers mounted on other 'Mechs they are of superior quality and require very little maintenance. Waste heat generated by the lasers are handled by the standard number of ten heat sinks mounted in the fusion engine. Three and a half tons of armor provide some measure of protection, although most Spider pilots agree that speed is the best defense. The unique armor alignment on the front of the Spider is what gave the 'Mech its name. This spiderweb pattern is further emphasized by a bright red fiberglass sealant in the seams between armor plates. One problem the mech has is that it lacks a proper ejection system: the pilot must manually reach the lower hatch on their own in order to exit the 'Mech. Many Spider pilots therefore practice quickly exiting the 'Mech during their downtime

Spider - BattleTechWiki

Regular Wasp (WSP-1A), (Best Role: Scout)
The classic WSP-1A had a ground speed that could be considered lackluster when compared to most modern light 'Mechs, but this was offset by its jump capability. While carrying heavier weapons than 'Mechs like the Locust, the Wasp would generally only engage other light 'Mechs, using its jumping capabilities to avoid conflicts with larger foes. The Wasp was also used in the role of raider because of its ability to hit and fade in rough terrain

Wasp - BattleTechWiki

Regular Panther (PNT-9R) (Best Role: Brawler)
The Panther's primary weapon is a Lord's Light PPC mounted in the right arm and boasting one of the highest damage outputs of any weapon. Unfortunately the PPC is also one of the most heat intensive, though many officers see it as a good learning opportunity for raw recruits to spend their first years piloting the Panther and gain experience managing its heat curve with thirteen heat sinks. The PPC is backed up by a reliable Telos Four-Shot SRM-4 launcher mounted in the center torso supplied by a ton of ammunition in the left torso. This mix of long and short-range weapons allows the Panther to stay at range and inflict damage on its enemies and close in and use the SRM-4 to make the killing blow/

Panther - BattleTechWiki

Veteran Valkyrie (VLQ-1A) (Best Role: Missile Boat)
The Valkyrie has as its primary armament a Devastator Series-07 LRM-10 launcher with one ton of reloads mounted in the left torso. While an unusual weapon on a light 'Mech, and carrying only enough missiles for two minutes of continuous fire, it gives the Valkyrie a long reach and respectable damage, especially against other light 'Mech hunters. As a back-up weapon the Valkyrie carries a Sutel IX Medium Laser in its right arm. This mix of long and short-range weapons allows the Valkyrie to soften up other 'Mechs from long range then move in for a kill.

Eleven heat sinks allows the Valkyrie to fire its weapons and uses its five jump jets, two each in the legs and the fifth in the rear torso, to jump up to 150 meters at a time without worrying about heat buildup. It also carries six tons of armor to absorb a decent amount of punishment. While only boasting a cruising speed of 54 km/h, it is capable of outmaneuvering and, when working as a team, taking down heavier opponents.

Valkyrie - BattleTechWiki

Lance Cost: 9.3 Million (50.7 Million Left)

Fozzie's Notes: So, we have two good scout mechs, and two mechs that can discourage pursuit (a PPC hit from the Panther can ruin anyone's day, but it's not a weapon you can fire every turn unless you really like running on the jagged edge, heat wise) and the Valkyrie's Long Range Missles means it can discourage pursuit, although it is ammo-limited.

So, we've spent about 10 Million C-Bills, and have 8 mechs to go, plus any other toys we decided to acquire.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-31-2016 at 02:19 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote