View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For my Heavy Lance Unit (which will also be my Command Lance), I want a Rifleman 3-N. It's a distance fighter, a variety of weapons. At 60 tons, it qualifies as a Heavy BattleMech. The Target # for Heavy Mechs is 6, and I would love a veteran, so the Target Number is 8.

Sadly, my greed has cost me, as the Roll is 6, so Not acquired. Bah!

Ok, we need something impressive. Something large and in charge. The Warhammer (WHM-6R) fits the bill. Same Target Number (veteran). Unfortunately, I roll double 1's, that's right, a 2. The look I give my dice can charitably be described as "Unimpressed", and I mutter to myself how this pair of dice is very close to failing me for the last time.

The Archer is a classic Mech in the Battletech Universe, it is the personal mech of one of the most feared Mercenary Generals in Battletech Lore (Jamie Wolf, of Wolf's Dragoons). There's a very good reason he's that feared, but that's kinda a spoiler, so I won't go into that right now. I don't want to be derivative, but so far we're 0 for 2, and the Archer's long range missile fire as a commander would be very useful.

So, the dice are on final warning, but let's try one more time for a veteran pilot (+2) to go with the Heavy Mech (6).

The Roll, comes up 2... and 6!. FINALLY, we have our first mech, Let's mark that as ACQUIRED! (Cost: 6.2 Million C-Bills).

Now that we FINALLY have a commander, it's time to get a bit greedy. Did I say a bit greedy? How about quite greedy, as we're going after possibly the most feared mech in the game. The 100 ton Atlas (AS7-D). We're definitely not going with a veteran here, we'd need an (assault Mech base 8, Veteran +2) 10+ which is.. kinda sorta unlikely. I intend to go with a green pilot (the son of some rich noble, who squandered his inheritance to buy a huge mech and become a "REAL Mechwarrior", possibly), as that will lower the target number to 6. I can see our commander keeping him in his lance for two reasons, 1) He definitely wouldn't fit in either of the other lances, and also, so he can keep the kid from getting himself in trouble (and getting the rest of the unit in trouble)

The Roll comes up.. 11. This is my unimpressed face again, this time with my lack of faith in myself and my dice, once they've been suitably threatened. However, we can mark the mech as... ACQUIRED (9.4 Million Cost)

That was a very costly mech however, and I'd like to save some money, so we're going to fill out the roster with some cheaper mechs. We start with the Dragon (DRG-1N), a mech mostly linked with the Draconis Combine, where it's nearly a totemic mech for the star nation, but many units have entered mercenary units, either via sale or salvage.

The target # is 6 (Heavy Mech), and wary of dice blow back, I go with Regular again.. and Roll a 9. *sighs* He who dares, wins, apparently. However, that's our third mech for the Command Lance that we can mark as.. ACQUIRED! (4.9 Million cost)

Our final mech needs to be something fearsome, we have three mechs with a variety of roles, and I also want another "iconic mech", and I select a Marauder (MAD-3R). I'm now convinced the dice are on my side, so I'm going to go for a veteran pilot (6+2=target number 8).. The Roll.. is an 8! I was so expecting to fail that roll. Yeesh. But our final mech has been.. say it with me.. ACQUIRED! (6.6 million cost)

Command Lance
Veteran ARC-2R Archer (Role: Missile Boat) *COMPANY AND LANCE LEADER*

Introduced in 2474, the Archer was one of the best-known and most widely-used BattleMechs available. A contemporary of 'Mechs such as the Thunderbolt and the Banshee, the Archer's primary role was fire support, though early in its combat career it was considered an assault 'Mech capable of long-range brawling, and it was used in a variety of other roles. More than 100,000 Archers were produced between its introduction and the start of the First Succession War, with tens of thousands of its variant models produced over the centuries. Though many were destroyed or dismantled for spare parts, they remained a common sight in the Great House armies, with six different factories producing new Archers throughout the Succession Wars.

The Archer's primary weapons were a pair of Doombud LRM-20 missile launchers with four tons of ammunition, enough for two minutes of continuous fire. The ammo was split between the side torsos. When the design was still relatively unknown, some Archer drivers were known to keep their missile bay doors closed in order to fool the enemy, but this trick has since lost its effect. For close combat situations, the Archer carries four Diverse Optics Type 18 Medium Lasers. Each arm is equipped with a laser, with the other two mounted on a centrally-located turret above the cockpit, giving them a clear field of fire to attack targets behind the 'Mech. Though not a particularly adept hand-to-hand combatant, the Archer's oversized battle fists serve it well in close combat and allow it to easily pilfer supplies when taking part in a raid

Archer - BattleTechWiki

Green Atlas (AS7-D) Role: Juggernaut

“A 'Mech as powerful as possible, as impenetrable as possible, and as ugly and foreboding as conceivable, so that fear itself will be our ally.”

-Aleksandr Kerensky, general of the Star League Defense Force

The Atlas is probably the best-known BattleMech to ever set foot on the modern battlefield. Designed with specifications from Aleksandr Kerensky in 2755 in the midst of the Cameron Edicts (that limited Great House Military size), the Atlas was originally intended to ensure SLDF superiority over the Star League member states. Though the inexorable arming of the Great Houses continued, the Atlas proved itself to be everything General Kerensky requested. With the largest amount of armor of nearly any 'Mech, crippling firepower, and the foreboding skull-shaped "Death's Head" cockpit/head assembly, the Atlas lived up to its reputation. The mere sight of an Atlas had been known to make even a veteran MechWarrior break out in a cold sweat, and theoretically a single Atlas can take on and wipe out an entire battalion of Stingers in exchange for minor armor loss.

The Atlas is armed with a multitude of weapons for both long and short range combat, all designed specifically to be as visible as possible so as to strike fear in the hearts of its enemies. For long ranges, the 'Mech carries a FarFire Maxi-Rack LRM-20 in the left torso that allows it to both fire directly at an enemy target at long range, and to give indirect fire support when needed. Unable to fit a full twenty-tube system on the 'Mech, the FarFire instead launches the missiles in waves of five over the course of ten seconds and carries two tons of reloads for twelve such salvos. For close range combat the 'Mech is armed with a Defiance 'Mech Hunter Autocannon/20 in the right torso with two tons of ammo. Although lacking a cooling jacket and liable to overheat, the massive autocannon gives the Atlas the firepower to take on an entire 'Mech company.
For close-range combat the Atlas carries four Defiance B3M Medium Lasers, one in each arm and two mounted in the rear center torso, and a Thunderstroke SRM-6 launcher with one ton of missiles in the left torso (the aperture between the SRM and LRM launchers is not another weapon but an omnicoupling for power and coolant cable connection). Furthermore the Atlas is equipped with hand actuators which, combined with its sheer weight and power, makes it a potent hand-to-hand fighter. Accounts of Atlases actually picking up medium-weight 'Mechs and throwing them around like toys makes for suitable horror stories and further enhances the aura of the 'Mech.

Carrying nineteen tons of armor, almost the entire weight of some light 'Mechs, makes the Atlas one of the best-protected 'Mechs ever built; its armoring is particularly thick on the front chest and legs. Its use of twenty heat sinks also gives the 'Mech an efficient heat management system. If there is one disadvantage to the Atlas it is its speed, with a rather slow cruising speed of 32.4 km/h. This makes it easy for most enemy 'Mechs to outrun the Atlas and so escape its clutches, which as it so happens is also the best chance most enemy 'Mechs have of surviving an encounter with this beast.

Atlas (BattleMech - BattleTechWiki)

Regular DRG-1B Dragon (Role: Skirmisher)

The Dragon is a heavy BattleMech originally designed in a bid to replace the Shadow Hawk. A close assault 'Mech, its versatile design allows it to be used in both offensive and defensive operations. It boasts above-average firepower and plenty of ammunition for extended combat, while a Vlar 300 fusion engine gives it a faster-than-normal top speed. Armor coverage for the Dragon's ten tons is thick around the torso, and especially the rear, for when it is surrounded by opponents, while the squat design gives it a smaller profile and makes it harder to knock over. The lack of any especially heat-intensive devices makes the use of only ten heat sinks a non-issue. The Dragon's only major problem is it requires frequent maintenance and/or overhaul of its hip actuator.

Debuting in the twilight years of the Star League, the Dragon was turned down by the SLDF in favor of an upgraded Shadow Hawk, though it would be quietly picked up by the Draconis Combine. With the dissolution of the Star League and the onset of the Succession Wars, the Dragon became the Combine's standard 'Mech.[1] Multiple production lines on many well-defended worlds, including Luthien, meant the design was so prevalent every battalion and almost every company featured the Dragon, with some battalions composed of nothing but these 'Mechs. So many were produced that the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth employed salvaged Dragons in their own arsenals, while many mercenary commands used captured or purchased models.

The Dragon's primary weapons are an Imperator-A Autocannon/5 in the right arm and Telos DecaCluster LRM-10 launcher in the center torso, giving it respectable long-range damage capabilities as it charges forward. Additionally, the use of Long Range Missiles grants the Dragon indirect fire capabilities. Two tons of ammo for each weapon allows it to operate for extended periods away from supply lines. For close combat the Dragon carries two Victory 23R Medium Lasers, one rear-mounted in its torso and another in its left arm. The Dragon is also a proficient brawler, often finishing off an opponent with physical attacks, and its normally-delicate autocannon is wrapped in a thick protective sleeve for just such occasions.

The Draconis Combine is prototyping an improved model of this mech, called the Grand Dragon. If successful, this mech will probably be downgraded in the coming years and decades.

Dragon - BattleTechWiki

Veteran Marauder (MAD-3R) Role: Sniper

The Marauder was first built by General Motors in 2612 for use as an attack and direct fire support BattleMech. The first 'Mech to diverge from the traditional humanoid shape of previous machines, the Marauder was one of the most well-known 'Mechs in existence and originally meant to usher in a new generation of 'Mechs. Unfortunately, with the fall of the Star League, this new generation never quite materialized. On its own merits though the Marauder was a devastatingly powerful 'Mech, outclassed only by larger machines like the Stalker and BattleMaster.

The Marauder carried a payload dedicated to long-range firepower in the form of two Magna Hellstar PPCs and a GM Whirlwind Autocannon/5. These three weapons all had similar range profiles that allowed the Marauder use them to their maximum effect at long ranges. The PPCs were carried in armored gauntlets, matching the same configuration as the Warhammer, but the arms' versatile ball-and-socket joints provided a faster traverse rate and superior field of fire. Compact enough to be carried in the arms the Hellstar PPCs were also durable enough to withstand heavy hand-to-hand combat, allowing the Marauder to bludgeon opponents into scrap. The autocannon was mounted atop the right torso and fed by one ton of ammunition in the left torso. Added as an afterthought, its connection to the main chassis was tenuous and a successful hit could easily disable the system, while the gun itself was often temperamental. If the enemy was able to close the range, the Marauder could rely on its two Magna Mk II Medium Lasers, also mounted in the gauntlets, which provided adequate defense against other 'Mechs.

The once-unique silhouette of the Marauder made it much harder to target than the more common humanoid models. It also originally carried eleven and a half tons of special Valiant Lamellor armor which was less massive and superior at distributing kinetic and thermal energy than other standard armor types. As the knowledge for its manufacture was lost though, many Marauders became a patchwork quilt as sections were damaged and had to be replaced. Sixteen heat sinks easily allowed a competent MechWarrior to keep their waste heat under control, while a powerful nineteen-ton fusion engine gave it a decent cruising speed of 43.2 km/h.

The Marauder was not without its flaws, potent though it was. In addition to the weak linkage between its autocannon and chassis, the rotation rings connecting the chassis with the leg assemblies was a similar weak point in the design. Many Marauder pilots took to mounting improvised armoring around these points in an attempt to protect these vulnerabilities. The powerful HiRez tracking system, located in the forward section of the 'Mech, was also known for impeding the pilot's field of view.

Marauder - BattleTechWiki

Total Cost: 27.1 Million C-Bills. Remaining: 11.1 Million

We need to keep around 6 million in hand, just in case we don't get a contract, so we're going to be very limited in what we can afford otherwise.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-31-2016 at 11:09 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote