View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfriars Bobby View Post

I really, really want to play and write about a long-running Football Manager career. I've found that a very elusive achievement. Part of the reason lies in the almost limitless possibilities the game offers. I can manage a big club, or a tiny one. I can manage in a world football powerhouse like Germany, or a tiny nation like Luxembourg. It seems that, as soon as I settle on a fun setting for a career, another one beckons.

Then, I buy the newest version of the game, and I begin the cycle again.

It's fun to explore the world of football like this, but I also think it would be fun to have a nice, long career with one manager character. With that in mind, I've created a scenario that I believe will engage my attention over the long haul.

I'm using Football Manager 14, because that's the edition of the game I've had the most fun with. I've managed to create tactics that have my team playing the way I want them to play, at least some of the time.

I enjoy managing in England most of all, and I like managing lower level teams. There's a very good database for FM 14 called "England Enhanced and Expanded" that does an excellent job of including two more levels of the English pyramid. I can manage a team at Level 8, the second tier of Non-League football. That's where I'm beginning my career, with Rugby Town Football Club. That's Rugby's crest at the top of my post.

When I first began playing FM, I thought I was being a slacker if I delegated some of the tasks involved in running my team to my staff. I've decided to re-think that attitude for this career. On my first day in charge, I'm going to terminate the existing staff at Rugby Town, with the exception of a player/coach I want to keep around. I'm giving the club's director the responsibility of hiring new staff members.

Then, when I get a Director of Football, I'll task him with finding new players for the club and negotiating their contracts. I'll reserve the right to approve or reject the DoF's suggestions. I'm sure I'll look for players myself--it's a lot of fun to find good players and bring them in--but the major share of the work will fall to the DoF.

I'll let my Assistant Manager handle the individual and team training, and I'll only step in if I think something isn't working, or if I have a brainstorm that my right-hand man hasn't come up with on his own.

With those jobs in the hands of my staff, I'll concentrate on tactics, man management, and match strategy, with a side order of squad building. I hope this style of play will hit my perfect balance between detail and playability, the one that will allow me to keep the career running for decades.

I hope some of you will enjoy the story, and please feel free to comment anytime you like.

I really miss playing the FM games. I used to play them all the time but due to so many other commitments and the fact that I am not a fan of Steam at all (and with all the newest versions of FM you have to have Steam) my days of playing this great game are probably over. I'll enjoy reading your dynasty though.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote