View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 01:38 PM   #399
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

May 1, 2027

Zane Lockhart's name had started to come up when people discussed assistant coaches who might be ready to head their own programs. I try to keep Zane on the Main Line by giving him a raise, but he accepts the head coaching job at Eastern Kentucky.

Coach Lockhart is the seventh of Graham's former assistants to hold head coaching positions. Six of them still have top jobs.

Code:
COACH CURRENT TEAM CAREER RECORD Donn McClinton Massachusetts 53-98 Thomas Liang Siena 50-72 Gregg Woods Albany 43-54 Chris Kiger Brown 26-35 Nathan Bailey St. Francis-PA 23-8 Zane Lockhart Eastern Kentucky new hire Steven Manion Hawaii* 62-89 *currently a Recruiting Coordinator

None of them have managed to replicate their mentor's success over time. The jury is still out on Coach Bailey, who had a fine first season at St. Francis. Best of luck, Coach Lockhart. History suggests you might need it.

Now I need to find a new Recruiting Coordinator. The Villanova board suggests I keep our staff budget below $504,000, which gives us over $200,000 to spend.

There are a number of very attractive coaches on the market, including some who have been head coaches at top-tier programs. I make offers to seven or eight of these coaches, and I end up landing the one I wanted most.

Mississippi State has been one of the most successful programs in my universe. The Bulldogs won the NCAA championship in 2018 and 2020, and have made it to the Final Four three other times. They've been coached by legends like Douglas Gillum (2010-2014) and James Berube (2014-2023). Coach Berube's successor, Galen Rock, retired a few weeks ago. The new Bulldogs head man brought in his own staff, which means coaches like Edward Volkman are looking for work. I give Coach Volkman $205,000 reasons to come to Villanova, and he accepts the job.

Coach Volkman is 33 years old, and he's already a Level 10 coach with maxed out Recruiting and Scouting skill. For those reasons, he's probably not destined to stay with Coach Sims for long; he's a future head coach in the making. But, for now, he'll be able to hone his craft beside the career wins leader in this dynasty. (That does feel good to write.)

In other coaching news: Vanderbilt's Stephen Rubalcaba decides it's time to hang up his whistle. The Commodores can shop on High Street for their new coach, and they hire Daniel Chouinard away from Illinois. Coach Chouinard, 53, arrives in Nashville with a 436-125 career record and one national championship on his resume.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote