View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #849
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll just mention that one of the long-standing disclaimers on a lot of media stock reporting (like, tickers and stuff) is that the information is NOT in real-time (15 minute delay was the standard I believe, may have shrunk to 10 minutes at some point)

If you're looking at actual live feeds for when the drop occurred then just ignore me but if you're looking at 3rd party type timings for the drop then that might account for timestamp wonkery.
Nah, I'm pulling Level 2 data off Fidelity's trading program, it's real time (or damn close at least). Many of those in the media are just mouthpieces for friends in these companies. Not even maliciously, they're just useful idiots.

One media guy I have liked is this professor who freelances for Forbes. This article was written & published this morning just before the opposite direction play, but it does a better job than me explaining how the options game has changed things, with GME the first but definitely not the last time it'll happen GameStop –*The Second Surge:*Anatomy Of A “Gamma Swarm”

It's what I've been saying from the start, albeit in clearer terms - people can buy relatively cheap option OTM contracts for more shares than are available, the net effect of all these is that option writers need to buy to hedge their bets, and if there's enough buy pressure there it raises the stock price, puts more contracts ITM, and creates a positive feedback loop. The easiest way to regulate this would be to cap the number of OTM contracts that can be sold at a % of available float, or at least change the way they are priced so that current OI is taken into account instead of just IV & current stock price, but nobody's been talking about that yet so the abusable loophole is still there & legal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote