View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #86
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This story on the 737 MAX software is full of crazy details.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1549..._y-HiQztf8fI5o

I'll be honest. I can't get past this:

Quote:
Airplane manufacturing is no different from mortgage lending or insulin distribution or make-believe blood analyzing software—another cash cow for the one percent, bound inexorably for the slaughterhouse. In the now infamous debacle of the Boeing 737 MAX, the company produced a plane outfitted with a half-assed bit of software programmed to override all pilot input and nosedive when a little vane on the side of the fuselage told it the nose was pitching up. The vane was also not terribly reliable, possibly due to assembly line lapses reported by a whistle-blower, and when the plane processed the bad data it received, it promptly dove into the sea.

It's so ill-informed, and sensationalist, and the complete opposite of the article that I linked to, which was very well documented. Articles like this make it sound as if these pilots were completely powerless to resist this, which couldn't be further from the truth. If you think that if one little link in the safety chain breaks that people die, you really don't understand the industry. Mistakes are trapped all the time, it's literally the biggest factor in training professional pilots. There may be some interesting engineering stuff in there, and Boeing did screw up, don't get me wrong, but the central issue is the pilots. That plane flew thousands of flights in the US with no incidents. Yet it's supposedly a flying deathtrap? Please. I'll fly that bird tomorrow.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote