View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #178
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Well I changed my formation and got players who I have on my team into those positions with green circles (natural or better fit). We've been winning our friendlies, just not sure if there's other stuff I should be doing that I'm not.

Be warned friendlies can be notoriously fickle in soccer - not least because they're sometimes played against foreign teams who's season isn't in sync with yours (leading to either your team being hammered because they're fit as fiddles or your team hammering theirs because they're still in 'holiday' mode), you also have to bear in mind the competitive difference between the sides playing - ie. if you're beating up teams several divisions below yours it doesn't mean much, if you're playing very good sides though then it generally bodes well for the season.

Use the friendlies to 'get to know' your team - especially any new signings you might make.

Quote:
I'm the Wolverhampton Wanderers in the EPL I think (the team is right, not sure on the league, I play Man U etc...)

You're right they're in the English Premiership - be warned they're a relatively 'small' side but with a BIG history, as such their supporters can often expect more than is reasonable considering the players and cash flow they have in comparison to the big sides today.

In real-life they're presently just above the drop zone (relegation area) and are likely to stay around that level all season and will likely be in the dog-fight for survival come the season end (with it being 50-50 pretty much as to whether they'll stay up or not most likely).

Don't expect to win a huge amount of games and appreciate that a draw against ANY of the big sides in the division (ie. Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.) is pretty much as good as a win, especially if you clinch it away from home.

When taking over a side in Wolves current situation I generally try and shore up the defense as solidly as possible, look for aging stars who are still solid and have good leadership and determination - you'll need players who'll dig deep and keep trying even when the results aren't going your way - defenders and hard working midfielders are the best bet to sign, Premiership quality strikers cost a FORTUNE and if you decide to go with signing attackers expect to blow your entire budget on a single player and then find he's somewhat lacking at the level you're playing at.

(best bet for strikers if to sign youngsters from divisions below you and hope one comes good in the future rather than try and buy an established player who'll want to be paid a fortune .... which you might find bankrupts the club should you get relegated)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote