View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 1 recap

Ok, finished breaking down the film, so I will give a little more detail on our opening win last night.

We won the toss and deferred and Maryvale elected to receive.

Jacob S is our kicker and he kicked it over the heads of their return men into the end zone for a touch back.....This is a great weapon to have on a Freshman team

We held them 3 and out and Guillermo N took the punt 53 yards for the score. We missed the XP to lead 6-0.

Another 3 and out for Vale and after another great punt return from Guillermo we take over at their 36. First play I call sweep and Shayne M takes it 36 yards to the house, Jesus G (Starting at FB with Jamal D out until the 2nd quarter) then runs in the 2 pt conversion and we lead 14-0.

Another 3 and out and a shanked punt and we are in business at their 26. Jesus gets 5 on weakside belly. I then call our one and only pass play of the game and our TE Jessie M can't quite corral it in the end zone and it is 3rd and 5. I go back to sweep and Shayne takes it 21 yards for his second TD in as many carries and we lead 20-0.

We force another 3 and out after our second sack of the game and Guillermo again sets us up with a solid punt return to the Panther 31. This time we go with the weakside buck sweep and Jamal K takes it all the way for the score and a 27-0 lead.

We force another 3 and out and this time they snap over the punters head and we take over at their 8. We are definitely clicking but field position is playing a huge factor right now as we have started every drive inside their 40!! With a first and goal Jamal D in the game for the first time goes 6 yds on trap, then 2 yds on strong side belly and the XP boosts our lead to 34-0.

We then sub some kids in on defense and they are able to get a couple of first downs, but then fumble and we take over on their 44 yard line, our worst field position of the first half. Tywon S is now in at TB in place of Shayne and we run strong side sweep again, different player, same result as Tywon goes 44 yards for another score and we take a 41-0 lead into the locker room.

Our first half stats, only 9 offensive plays!!
0-1 passing
8 rushes for 148 yards and 5 scores
In addition Guillermo (our 3rd TB) has over 100 yds on punt returns and a score.

In the second half we played our 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings almost exclusively. A couple of starters got some action on defense early in the 3rd quarter, but after Maryvales first series they were done for the night. The backups played Maryvale tough, we had a decent little drive in the third that ate some clock, but no points. They were able to get inside our 10 yard line in the 4th quarter, but our defense held and kept them out of the end zone. Our last big moment of the night came after that stop, when Andrew J (Our 4th TB, yes we are deep here) took it 74 yards to the house for our final score. All in all a good opening win.

Final Score Westview 47 Maryvale 0

Our first O-line looked very good, though we need to shore up our strong side belly quite a bit, but apart from that they opened some nice holes. I would also like to see the trap develop a bit quicker, but it is always a little slow early on. Defense played very well and the only concerns there are that we lost leverage a couple of times against the toss play and also overpursued on a couple of plays, leaving cutback lanes open, that we were able to close pretty quickly with our speed.

Special teams was also a bit of a fire drill as we were short a couple of times on punt return and we worked all special teams a lot today in practice, mostly just getting on and off the field. Not all that abnormal for the first game, but still aggravating and it will be fixed by next week.

And finally my favorite stat of the game....we had 76 kids dressed out and every single one of them got into the game for at least a play or two. Nothing makes me happier than that!!!

Final game stats
Rushing 24 carries 263 yards 6 TD's
Passing 0-1 (Sorry all you run and shoot guys)
Plus a special teams score.

Leaders
Andrew J 1-74, 1 TD
Shayne M 2-57, 2 TD's
Tywon S 1-44, 1 TD
Jamal K 1-31, 1 TD

We had 12 different kids carry the ball overall and obviously our starters got a lot of rest tonight and we had no injuries of any consequence (Another of my favorite post game stats)

Tonights practice was light, focusing on special teams as mentioned and fixing some things on offense, as well as installing 2 new running plays for game two (Our entire base offensive package is now in) I will add a play here and there and we always have a trick play ready every week. We did not use the one I had for Maryvale, so that bullet will stay in the chamber for next week.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 09-05-2008 at 12:05 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote