View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Didn't get to post any practice notes as I had some work projects to do after practice, but it was a good week overall.

We played Pinnacle tonight and came away with the win 29-8 with the game being called at the end of the third quarter due to lightning. We had a first down inside their 20 when this happened, so we were in total control at the time of the stoppage.

Again I will post a more detailed report after I watch film, but we were off to a bad start before we even left the school. One of the buses they sent was out of gas, so we had to wait for a second bus. We loaded the starters and special teams players on the first bus and kept the rest of the kids waiting for the second one. Despite a 20 minute head start the first bus got there only 5 minutes before the second due to the slowest driver ever.....and we didn't get on the field to warm up until 5:30....A half hour late!!!

Not surprisingly we were out of sorts in the first quarter and it showed against the always aggressive Pinnacle Defense, who did a good job containng us. When we did execute we shot ourselves in the foot with four 1st quarter penalties, two of which took first downs away after 4th and short conversions. They didn't fair much better despite having great field position and it was 0-0 after one.

We finally settled down scoring 21 points in the second quarter to take a 21-0 lead into the half. The highlight was one of the most spectacular runs you will see at any level. I need to find a way to upload it. I called 50 Trap and they stuffed Jamal D at the point of attack, he tried to bounce outside and got drilled three times, but kept bouncing off tackles, finally just as they were about to whistle the play dead, he shook off the Pinnacle tacklers, reversed his field and then outran everyone 70 plus yards for the score. This came after we popped the trap clean on the drive before and he went 60 yards barely touched.

We traded TD's after half and then we were driving to score again after an interception when the game was called.

Will have stats and drive summaries tomorrow......A very bizarre 29-8 win and the Freshmen Knights are 2-0.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote