View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clemson survives, with their #3 QB doing juuuuust enough after Lawrence left with an injury.

Now those who know their Georgia HS football may remember Chase Brice, 3.5 year starter at 7A power Grayson. Basically a 3.5* prospect kinda guy. Gamer, said to have a great football IQ. But on paper, not a guy you figure plays a lot for a national title contender.

But, those who are good with names/places/connections may figure it out easily enough.

Grayson.

Remember this headline?
Grayson head football coach Mickey Conn resigns for position with Clemson football -- Mar 17, 2016

He joined "the staff of Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, Conn’s former teammate at Alabama, where they won the 1992 national championship together. The two have been friends since college and rumors have swirled yearly about the Grayson coaching leaving for Clemson."

And now you understand better, perhaps, how someone gets a longer look for a roster (and ultimately a spot on it) than the numbers might have suggested would happen.

edit to add: And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Grayson, you may also recall, was the HS for (eventual Ole Miss guy) Nkemdiche, as well as Clemson RB Gallman and another guy that IIRC ended up at Clemson. It's a long-standing relationship, because of the long-standing relationship.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote