View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #47
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's cool - I'd love to hear more about how you've managed to do that actually. My metabolism is slow...I'd love to boost it sensibly.

Sorry if my earlier post came off sarcastic. I think many of us are sensitive regarding this issue and I was grumpy at the time.

The main things that have really worked for:

1. Eating 6-7 times throughout the day instead of 3. This includes eating less at each meal (holidays withstanding), but overall more. With each meal, I make sure to have a protein source, but veggies and nuts and the like are all great to include as well.

2. Regular weight lifting. While I've increased the intensity of my workouts as I became stronger, even lifting a few times a week for 30 minutes is huge. It increases your resting metabolic rate. Also, I have a set of Ironmaster dumbells with the extra weight additions and a super bench with attachments and I can get a good workout on any part of my body. To start out even just doing a combo of pushups and squats with your body weight can help a lot.

3. I kind of mentioned it, but protein consumption. I am sure you don't need what I do, but just making sure I have consistent protein sources throughout the day helps me a lot.

4. low carb count in the evening. You can have some with dinner, but assuming you eat 6 and go to bed at 11 or so, very little or no carbs at all after your dinner.

5. Limit junk food. And if you do have some of these, eat them in the morning or early afternoon. Working in a school they always have junk food around, but try to avoid eating it and or have a little if its early in the day. I also dont keep any junk food at all in the house. It's important you get your calories from quality foods.

6. Drink plenty of water, and no soda, juice, etc... I have an occasional diet soda which I know isn't good for me, but predominantly drink water or the 10 calories version of vitamin water if I want something flavored.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote