View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #363
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Mrs. G here....

ABC... Being from California as you (I assume since you have annual DL passes), I can give you my impressions of Florida.

We did a week long odyssey in Feb of '12 if I remember the year correctly.

To me: the Magic Kingdom was essentially Disneyland East. It's bigger, and more spread out. Some theming was better... The cue for the haunted mansion was much better there, and the cue for Pirates was amazing! However, the Pirates ride was not as good compared to CA. I remember one drop vs. our 2 drops on that ride. Having said all that, if you have little ones, that will be a must!

Animal kingdom is great, but if you need to, you can hit the San Diego Safari Park... It's a similar concept, although not as "disney" (AK wasn't overly "Disney" itself in my opinion).

Hollywood Studios was a cross between California Adventures and Universal Studios. If you have little ones, it might be the one to skip, unless they have to do Toy Story Mania. They have more 'action shows' and more theater seating events. I enjoyed it, but our 7 and 11 year olds didn't really care for it.

Epcot is the one place that California has nothing to compare! I loved the world showcase and could easily eat my way through the entire circle! The kids will like Turtle Talk, and our kids loved Mission Space (although once on the non-spinny side was enough for me and Mr. G). Definitely get reservations at the Rose and Crown for dinner and tell your reservation person that you want to see Illuminations. We were right down on the water and very close to some of the rafts for the displays. If you have little ones, they might be interested in the Kim Possible "adventure(?)". It was 4 years ago, so it may have been redesigned, but the concept was that you needed to help Kim and Ron solve some mystery as you worked your way around the world showcase. When you went to the right area you got the next clue

Other observations: for sit down.... Make reservations now! It's not like the Blue Bayou where you can walk up at 11 for dinner at 6. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, it was the bottom of the high end hotels, we had excellent bus service, and took the ferry to MK. We really liked the theming and seeking out all the hidden mickeys. We also bought access to a website that tells you when and where to avoid the crowds. The name escapes me now, but it seems that it was $20, and they had historical knowledge of what parks were busiest by day/time. The general theory was, avoid the park that has extra hours on that day. The crowds would be heavier, and lines longer.

Hope this helps
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote