View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Animal kingdom is great, but if you need to, you can hit the San Diego Safari Park... It's a similar concept, although not as "disney" (AK wasn't overly "Disney" itself in my opinion).

Agree wholeheartedly. If you have a top-notch zoo in your area, AK is pretty superfluous IMO ... unless you just really want to ride Yeti. It also works pretty well as a half-day park. Go early, do the 1-3 things that you really want and then escape elsewhere.

Quote:
Definitely get reservations at the Rose and Crown for dinner and tell your reservation person that you want to see Illuminations.

Yep. That's an A1 suggestion right there.

Quote:
We also bought access to a website that tells you when and where to avoid the crowds. The name escapes me now, but it seems that it was $20, and they had historical knowledge of what parks were busiest by day/time. The general theory was, avoid the park that has extra hours on that day. The crowds would be heavier, and lines longer.

There are quite a few sites of that sort -- many of them free -- among the ones I've used most was (IIRC) allears.net

Whatever the source, very much put me in the "find early opening ... and go the other direction" camp. The extra crowding more than kills any advantage of the extra hour(s) and we always plan every single day of a trip to avoid that mess.