View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
When I was first getting into meditation, a friend of mine put the thought thing this way, and it made sense to me. He said that when you have a thought and you allow it to leave, or even if you latch onto it, and then remember and refocus, each time you do this is like a weight lifting rep for your mind. You won't be really good at it at first, but as you do it morr, you will get better at blanking your mind and not latching onto thoughts for too long.

Personally I have gotten the best results by focusing on the touch of a body part. Such as focusing on the feel of my fingers on the arms of the chair I am in. Once I have that focus, I gradually try to widen my focus, feeling my back against the chair back, my feet on the floor and taking in the sensations of the environment (any sounds I hear or smells). All the while, keeping my breath even as Radii mentions.

When I'm successful, I feel great and I'm surprised when my alarm goes off. When I'm not, I'm distracted and can't wait for the alarm to go off so I can get going with the rest of my day.

How funny you mention the arm rest. I'm so passionate about meditation I didn't even read the comments haha oops.

But you're spot on, Chief. I also focus on touch, it centers me and reminds me about focusing on the now, the present.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote