View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I concur with points made by Ben and gstelmack. I would like personality traits that are more dynamic and are linked more toward events than attributes.

For example, a player may came into the league with a red flag but eventually mature into a mentor with affinities. Likewise, a good character guy should be able to developer into a red flag character. The example of a player signing a big contract might make him disliked by other players or give him a big head.

I'd also like to see the relationships more multi-faceted as well. For example, my backup guard may love his offensive line leader but he might hate the left tackle or hate his QB.

The astrology aspect doesn't bother me. It's simply a known naming convention. I actually like the idea of having a more in-depth psychology indicator like MBTI that is more multi-faceted.

I like gstelmack's ideas in that regard and expand on that. Perhaps instead of absolute personality types you have dynamic personality traits that can change but determine chemsity. Leadership, Wants Winner and Intelligence are good example of traits that could change over the years. How about something such as Practice Committment (could tie into development as well as cohesion and development) and Community Involvement (connects to popularity, salary, attendance)? I'm sure there are other ideas as well.

To me the drawback of an MBTI vs. astrology is that they aren't all that different, it's just a different naming convention. If the MBTI is static and absolute, all you're doing is going from one variable to four variables and going from 12 different types to 16 types. While you could create different combinations of affinities due to the the increased variables, I think you're still going to have skepticism from people who don't put stock in MBTI.

But I think the most valuble improvements to me would a system that is dynamic and less absolute. Everybody on the team might want me to sign that free agent QB, but what happens if once he gets there everyone hates him? What if the quiet, shy linebacker whose been with my team for 10 years slowly and steadily earns the respect of his teammates and becomes a leader? We see some of that in FOF now but like Ben pointed out, it's too predictable and absolute.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote