View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #4032
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It was certainly the most exciting fight I've ever seen Askren fight, I wish it could've gone on longer. That said, I also thought Lawler was out in real time, so it's hard to really call it a bad stoppage.

You can't call it a bad stoppage and even though a full on blood choke would generally take 4-5 minutes to result in death, some degree of brain damage can occur in as little as 20-30 seconds and most definitely starts to occur 50 seconds to a minute. Obviously in a sanctioned bout the referee would not let choke go that long, but Herb Dean really couldn't just sit there and let that dangerous of a position go much longer.

I have tapped to plenty of chokes because I recognize when I am caught, but the one time I went completely out I thought I was safe, felt very alert and was working to create more space to escape. Then I heard the brown belt I was rolling with asking me if I was okay and I said yeah what happened and realized I was laying on my back and him and another guy that trains there were looking down on me LOL. Dana should know this, but again he hates Askren and isn't ever going to do him any favors.

I could have easily accepted the fight getting stopped when Askren was getting pummeled after being dropped on his head and it looked like Dean was close right before Askren established half guard and working to get the whizzer.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote