View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #4043
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hmm. My opinion regarding Conor has gone all over the map through the years. In the beginning I was a total fan boy and I lapped up whatever he was selling, as he seemed like a truly exceptional talker AND fighter, and he was an absolute blast to watch. Later on the act kept getting more and more grating, and at the same time the act of actually fighting obviously became less and less of a priority for him (not that I can ever blame anyone for not wanting to get punched in the face)....somewhere in there being a fan of Conor crossed over into being much more effort than the ever-shrinking returns were worth, and I entirely stopped caring about what he was up to or anything he said. I don't get the impression I'm in the minority in that regard.

It's kind of a shame that he started out looking like a game-changing fighter, but in the end his biggest legacy is perhaps how he changed the UFC by exhibiting that a mid-tier fighter could effectively talk his way past a top-level fight or two & into immediate title contention, and now that's what everybody tries to do, though almost nobody has the mouth OR fight skills to back up all that blather. Like a bad camper, it's hard not to feel like Conor left the MMA environment in worse shape than when he came in.

So I guess goodbye, good job, good luck, and good riddance to some degree?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-26-2019 at 03:09 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote