View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

July 21, 2012 (morning)
We'll be receiving $3k in money for an upcoming televised BSBP match. That's the good news. The bad news would be that it's our clash against rival Gateshead, who figure to beat us like the minnow in a big pond I feel like. And, speaking of likely beatdowns ...

July 12, 2012 (afternoon)
Blyth (BSBP) vs Blackpool (Championship) - Friendly

Hey, it's a nice payday (expected profit around $35k) and since the club bleeds money every month I figure I almost owe it to the board to take on something like this at least once a year. Pitchero Non-League fills me with confidence as they expect "a basketball scoreline"

We'll play defensive, put out the best lineup we can, hope to avoid getting embarrassed. My pre-game talk of "no pressure, we're huge underdogs, show 'em what you've got" relaxes the club ... and appears to have relaxed about half of them too much (Hartley, Sinclair, Antwi, Mole, Armstrong). Great, just great.

GK - Hartley
D - Martin - Jones - Antwi - Sinclair
MF - Matondo - Pook - Vipond - O'Connor
F - Armstrong - Mole
(Available subs: cast of thousands)

07:00 Antwi wins a header at midfield, knocks it on for Mole ... pass ahead to Armstrong is timed perfectly ... GK Halstead coming out, Armstrong lobs ... and Halstead leaps high to get his fingertips on a ball that none of our keepers would have even left the ground to attempt. It's a corner, which comes to nothing.

14:30 - Smith corner to the far post, Hill is there, Hartley had no chance (0-1)

19:30 - Bruna corner, plays it way out in the area to Powell, he puts the ball into an empty net on the far side. No idea why Hartley stayed glued to the near post for so long after the ball was in play. (0-2)

21:19 - Ince cross to Sutherland in the area, header bounces into the net (0-3)

36:14 - Sutherland battles with Jones in the box, nudges the ball forward ... and Hartley is too slow to react (0-4) Okay, that was bad. There are toddlers who could have come closer to a save there.

Halftime- Again my halftime speech seems to make things worse. I give 'em the whole "the purpose can be found in other areas" talk, and key players look disinterested, except for Sinclair who appears "in danger of losing discipline" ... Funny thing, we've outshot them 10-4, problem is that only 1 of ours was on target, all 4 of theirs were.

Sub Knight for Hartley, Groves for Vipond (50% fit), Chinthengah for Armstrong (5.8), Purvis for Sinclair, Mellish for Jones (4.9)

54:15 - After Pook intercepted poor pass by Blackpool, Chinthengah plays a simple pass to Mole, he steps into the arc and shoots ... GOAL ! (1-4) We finally put one on target & it shocked the keeper so much he was a step slow getting there

68:22 - Chinthengah is denied from the edge of the box ... rebound right back to him ... GOAL (2-4)

70:00 - Sub Janneh for Pook, Stamp for Mole, Dombaxe for Matondo, Sawyer for Antwi (Groves to DR, Purvis to DCR, Sawyer to LCM)

74:40 - Chinthengah with a corner ... Purvis header hits the crossbar

79:30 - Chinthengah with little run forward, Blackpool backs off ... he suddenly sees Stamp & hits him in stride with a pass ... into the area, shoots ... GOAL ! (3-4) I'm starting to think we might be learning a few things about this team from this game

83:30 - Sub Abraham for O'Connor, Christensen for Purvis

84:17 - Chinthengah with a corner ... to the next post ... Mellish is there ... GOAL !!! (4-4) He banked it in off the underside of the crossbar. In my wildest imagination I didn't think for a second that could happen.

89:00 - 2 mins of extra time
90:00 - Christensen takes a free kick from the right channel ... overshoots everybody, Sawyer gives chase but can't come up with it ... but tackles it away, works toward the area from wide left ... shoots, Ingham makes the save ... but bobbles it ... Martin clears it off the line
90:45 - Chin corner ... cleared out for a throw-in ...

Fulltime - Just wow. We outshot them 19-6, ended up with 51% of poss. Crossed quite well (27%), held our own in the air. And the comeback wasn't exactly what you'd think, they didn't start subbing seriously until after our second goal. Clearly a big difference between players playing hungry vs those who decided to show up & take their beating.

Chinthengah (MOM, 9.0, 1 goal, 3 assists) was amazing.
Mellish (8.0), Stamp (7.4), Groves (7.2), Knight (6.9) all stood out.
So did Jones (4.9), Vipond (5.7), Antwi (5.7), Sinclair (5.8), Armstrong (5.8) but not in a good way.

And there's this telling note from ass't coach Fell "Quite a few of the players are causing concerns in struggling to appear motivated to play for you"

And apparently some of them aren't, they mostly played in the 2nd half best I can figure.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-09-2012 at 12:21 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote