View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aug 25, 2012 (morning)
Our U18s have beaten Sheff Wed U18s 1-0 on the road. Billy Lobjoit scored at 6' and it held up, in part because Sheffield played a man short from 53' onward after Damian Hamsher picked up his 2nd yellow card. D Rhys Paul (7.7) stood out alongside MOM Lobjoit (8.3 & 1 goal). Not really a bad performance in the squad today.

Aug 25, 2012
Blyth (0-2-1, 20th) at Kidderminster (0-0-3, 24th)

Naturally we're underdogs on the road, 9:2 while the worst team in the league so far is a 1:2 favorite. I sure hope they're wrong.

We'll go 4-4-2 Standard, let's see how that goes.
GK: Hartley
D: Martin - Jones - Purvis - Groves
MF: Matondo - Morrison - White - Whiteley
F: Armstrong - Mole
Bench: Slaughter - Phillips - Chinthengah - Antwi - Dovey

12:00 - Armstrong picks up a slight knock but apparently has to come off for good. Sub Phillips on (Matondo to F)

20:23 - Casual passing just past midfield, sort of lulled the defense to sleep ... suddenly Matondo fires a 25 yard try that finds itself buried in the back of the net (1-0) Assist goes to Mole

23:15 - Arnold steals the box in the box & has an easy shot ... which he puts wide by a good 3 feet. We dodged a bullet big time.

28:55 - Mole outruns the field but is stoned on a 1-on-1 try
40:15 - Pinpoint pass downfield by Whiteley ... Mole loses it but gets it back for a shot that's turned round the post
42:04 - Matondo intercepts a horrible pass by their keeper but shoots it wide left by a couple of feet
Halftime - Pretty good showing thus far, could actually be up more. 6-3 shooting edge, 4 of those on target. Poss. is about even. We'll switch to Counter to open the half

53:23 - A long cross by Matondo to Whiteley ... robbed by the keeper on a header ... rebound back to Whiteley ... he's robbed again by a defender who clears the ball off the line for a corner

54:12 - Phillips hangs one up into the box ... Jones is there for a header GOAL !!! (2-0)

62:52 - Jones clears a long ball for Mole, keeper is too far out ... Mole missed by a mile

65:55 - Byrne with a corner try ... finds Matt for a header from just outside the box (2-1) It's a game again

75:00 - Sub Antwi for Whiteley (spent; Groves to RMF, Purvis to RD), Sub Slaughter for Morrison (tired), switch to Defensive

78:30 - Phillips with a long free kick into the area ... Antwi's header is too high
79:10 - Frear gets loose into our area ... shot goes high over the bar
82:00- Near disaster as Hartley completely misses a diving save attempt ... Groves is there to put it out of play
89:00 - 3 mins of time added

Fulltime - That'll do. 15-9 shot edge, 56% of poss, passing was better today (although still awful from the back line). 4 clear cut chances, 7 shots on target, only two goals but with our recent struggles it seems like ten.

Hartley 6.8
Martin 7.0, Jones 7.6 & 1 goal, Purvis 7.1, Groves 7.2
Matondo 7.3 & 1 goal, Morrison 6.8, White 6.9, Whiteley 6.8
Armstrong N/A, Mole 7.3 & 1 goal & 1 assist
Subs: Phillips 7.7, MOM, 1 assist, Antwi 6.9, Slaughter 6.6

Aug 25, 2012 (postmatch)
Graeme Armstrong will miss 3-4 weeks with a thigh strain suffered after awkwardly striking a ball during the match.

The win moves us up to 16th, not much breathing room but it's something.

The former captain, now vice-captain, may not be thrilled with my observation during the presser that his loss is a blow but it's not the end of the world.