View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #720
Radii
Head Coach

December 18th, 2018

Aston Villa(10-4-3, 1st) @ Ipswich(2-2-12, 19th)

Aston Villa are 4:6 favorites today making us 7:2 dogs. The top of the EPL has been pretty crazy with Aston Villa, Chelsea and Sunderland all sitting in first on occasion, Newcastle is right there as well. For this moment, Aston Villa are in first and they're going not going to want to waste a chance to get 3 vs us. We played well against Newcastle and I'd love to see another good effort today.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Fryers/Brown/McKerr
M: Guarin/Mariga/Donnelly/Gordon
AMC: Kang
ST: Constantino

30 y/o ST Eren Derdiyok has 10 goals, 6 assists and 5 man of the match awards in 15 games for Aston Villa. ST Gabby Agbonlahor is a 32 y/o who has 7 goals in 15 matches. Neither of these guys start against us today. Instead ST Arsenio Valpoort (4 goals/13 matches) and Nathan Delfoouneso (3 goals/4 matches) get starts today. They're resting their stars for us, but the backups are pretty damn good!

A few changes for us on short rest today. Guarin ML, Gordon MR, Kang AMC.

3': They push straight down the pitch attacking, earning a throwin in our end, and getting their first shot in that Murphy saves and turns behind for a corner. We clear the corner well, they try to push it back in, we clear again and they get a throwin.. this time they move quickly to the right corner, a cross comes in and their man Valpoort wins a header at the 6 yard line as Murphy tried to rush out for it but didn't get there first... once he wins the header, easy goal. 0-1

13': We work it around on offense, play breaks down a bit with some confusion at the edge of the penalty box after a weird deflection, Constantino is able to scoot free, Kang finds him and he's got a great look... but tries to run in a bit closer before shooting and allows them to close down.. he needed to fire right away there. We do earn a corner, taking it short to Fryers, and he turns by his man really nicely, shoots, and the keeper has to dive to save this one... it deflects away but they are first to it to clear. Close!

24': Each team has 3 shots, 2 on target at this point. The early goal allows them a huge advantage here but we are doing some decent things out there I think. Kang's shooting really, really worries me though in this formation. His shots are quite simply weak. I don't know if this is a morale/settling issue or if its something he's just not good with... after some nice buildup we get it to Kang 20 yards out and he just pokes it weakly at the keeper.

35': They earn a corner with a long run down the right as we miss two tackles before finally blocking a cross back for a corner. We clear the corner well.

40': We earn a corner, they clear it out of the area but we push it back ahead to Gordon, he puts a cross into the area, Mariga gets up for the header, but puts it over.

46': We counter, a long ball to Constantino, he gets down the left and puts a pass into the area... they have two defenders there, but the pass makes it through. Mariga runs on to it and strikes it from about 8 yards out with his first touch... he's closely covered but he hits it cleanly.. right to the keeper. That could have so easily been a truly beautiful goal. Doh!!

HALF: The early goal skews things so much. But again I feel alright about our play. We're passing well, building up some chances, this is a very, very good team and we're generating some solid chances here. We have 8 shots, 4 on target. They have 12 shots, 4 on target. One thing I see today is that we're actually winning more headers than usual, and the gap isn't as bad, 56% for us, 60% for them.

47': We build up nicely down the left side, Guarin and Donnelly controlling it well as they try to close down... Donnelly puts it into the area for Kang, he's a bit out left, tough angle... but again, weak, weak shot. Its wide, not struck with any pace, this is really bothering me.

51': we again control the ball well in the offensive end, passing around looking for an opening... Mariga makes a very nice pass into the area, its just a little far... Gordon tries to run to it but their keeper comes out and covers it first.

56': Short highlight, after a pass Donnelly blasts one from 20 yards, its too high though.

58': They counter attack against us, a quick run down the left, a cross from midfielder Treacy, striker Drediyok(subbed on for one of their forwards) gets above Fryers, heads it down into the ground and its under a diving Murphy and in. That one hurts, because it was really fun to watch some solid, controlled play for the first 10 minutes of the second half. 0-2

66': Coutts in for Gordon.

70': Yebda in for Mariga. We play a lot on short rest here and I need these guys when we aren't 2-0 down.

72': Donnelly with a yellow.

76': Constantino receives a pass and begins a run, he's got 3 defenders tracking him, but he is controlling it really well... he's brought down outside the area, and defender Rinaudo picks up a yellow. We earn a corner as the free kick is blocked by the wall. Corner is cleared easily.

81': Yebda with a pass to Constantino, he's got it 20 yards out, he turns, he beats his defender, into the area and its a clear cut chance... he shoots near post... but the keeper saves and its wide.

Nothing the last 10 minutes.

Ipswich 0 : 2 Aston Villa

Much like Newcastle, I'm really not too disappointed here. Yeah, we need to steal some points, but just watching the highlights it feels like we have better control in the midfield and generating chances the past couple matches.

Kirkland and Guarin both put up a 7.0.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote