Thread: True Detective
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #313
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I can get behind the not having Paul, but I liked the Frank arc and I think Vaughn actually did quite a good job. I think Frank is also essential to the plot in a way that Paul wasn't.
Looking back, I think Vaughn did the best he could. I just feel the character didn't add much and involved a ton of tangents that took away from the story. Things like the drama with his wife, Blake's odd role in all this, the mexican drug lords being shoe-horned at the end and who can forget Stan! None of that really integrated with the Casper murder, the Catalyst-Mayor deal, the twins involvement, or the original robbery and the cop corruption. It was just a parallel plot line that sometimes took half or more of an episode - all to setup this tragic figure who (outside of a Rambo moment at the end and a forced arrangement with Ray) never really figured into anything that important.

I would rather have all the Frank-Jordan, Frank-Blake, Frank-Osip and Frank-Ray time spent on the key plot items mentioned above that got glossed over. I mean, five of the key characters of the season's main plot (Tony Chessani, Chief Holloway, Lt. Burris and the twins) were virtually unknown going into the final 3 episodes. But, hey, we all knew who Stan was

Last edited by Arles : 08-11-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote