Thread: True Detective
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #324
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well yes. Ray isn't entwined in the mob if Burris was the guy who helped facilitate the murder. If Ray isn't entwined in the mob, he isn't considered a "dirty cop", which is why he was put on the Caspere case to begin with and why the other agencies are telling Ani and Paul to not trust the guy.
All the cops in Vinci were dirty - Burris, Holloway, Dixon. Let's say that, instead of Frank, it's Burris that passes a tip to Ray about a guy (we later find is involved with the robbery with him and Dixon) and says it is Ray's wife's rapist. Ray kills the guy and is stuck under the thumb of Dixon and Burris at Vinci. This Casper case comes up and they stick him on as their patsy and he starts working with Bezzerides. Things start to unravel, he finds out the guy he killed was actually involved in this diamond robbery and Burris was playing him for a fool. That gives him the motive to finally break out of this "protect Burris because I owe him" mold and he starts doing real detective work. I don't see how that isn't just as good of a story and we get all the Frank time to go into this corruption/1992 robbery/twins/Mayor's son/Osip stuff that got completely glossed over in favor of Frank, Jordan, Blake and Stan.

Quote:
And besides, I think Vaughn WAS a big part of the real story. The real story isn't the murder of Caspere, its about the corruption and decadence of the power structure and how its rotten to the core (it's a noir after all). The interaction between the gangster element and the city is part and parcel of that.
But that was really a red herring. The gangster element wasn't key to the catalyst land deal or the corruption, it was just a small piece (Russians setting up parties to gather blackmail on city officials) to ensure the deal between Catalyst/McCandless, Chessani, Geldoff and company went through. You could have easily had Osip work with the younger Chessani on the blackmail end and not missed a beat. Frank actually wasn't involved at all in that process.

Last edited by Arles : 08-11-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote