Thread: True Detective
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #325
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I had issues with the show.

There was far too much tell and not enough show. The last few episodes had characters just spewing forth chunks of plot to try to tie things together. The plot was not just convoluted and complex, but it was boring. It was some combination of a revenge scenario by two characters who had all of three scenes and buying up land. Okay...

None of the villains were all that memorable. There was the evil mayor. He was evil, but was killed off screen. There was the evil black cop and the evil white cop. The mayor's son. Osip (who was far better in that Comcast "Opulence... I has it" commercial). The Mexicans.

Sure, the main villain from the first season was in one scene before the finale, but at least they built him up with the whole spagehtti monster thing throughout the show and then made him super weird and creepy in the finale. He was definitely memorable.

I also didn't care about the characters that much. I felt nothing when Frank died. Nothing when Ray died. Nothing when Paul got shot. When Ray's wife (the actress was totally wasted in the role, she's amazing on "Rectify") read that paternity test thing, I was like, "Oh, yeah. Right. The paternity of their son was an issue. Right. I forgot all about that. Huh." So, no emotional impact there either.

Ray seemed to have three goals when trying to elude the evil cop guy and his band of mercenaries (where did those mercs come from?): 1) Lead them away from Ani; 2) Send audio message to his sone; and 3) evade capture. There seems to be a lot of places other than the middle of nowhere in the woods that he could have better accomplished some, or all, of those goals. It was weird.

Also, why was that big land deal all dependent upon some secret money trade off in the middle of the woods? I didn't get that either.

I'll miss Stan, though. That guy was pure gold.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote