View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 12:09 PM   #2050
PilotMan
Head Coach

Seriously though I'll share what I shared to FB today (with a little crossover from my other post in the dumbass thread):

https://theconversation.com/a-quest-for-significance-gone-horribly-wrong-how-mass-shooters-pervert-a-universal-desire-to-make-a-difference-in-the-world-183199

Read that. It's not long; but here's the critical part of it if you don't:

The mainstream narrative that most of us follow promises significance and social worth as rewards for hard work, notable achievements and social service.

Yet there exist alternative narratives that offer tempting shortcuts to fame and glory. These identify an alleged villain, scheme or conspiracy that threaten one’s group – race, nation, or religion. The mortal danger being invoked calls for brave heroes willing to sacrifice all on the altar of the cause.

A striking example of such a narrative is the so-called “white replacement theory” that Gendron allegedly embraced. It is the idea that progressive leftists are planning to flood the country with people of color, aiming to disempower the white population and destroy its values and way of life.

The sense of existential danger this theory invokes fuels blind hatred against the alleged usurpers, and presumed conspirators, a loathing that overrides all restraints. It unleashes the rawest, most primordial impulses of which the human reptilian brain is capable. Murderous rage and mayhem are often the result.

----

And then there's this shockingly similar statement from a Republican state representative in Kentucky on why he was beaten in his primary by a more extreme candidate...and you can take that and apply it to the national political conversation. He said: “It’s all about getting people mad and angry. And making them feel like they’re getting screwed when they’re not,” Koenig said.

It's psychology people, and I'm not talking about the psychology as in crazy people and mental illness, I'm talking about how humans respond to stimuli and how they react to a feeling of feeling challenged and attacked. Shooters respond the same way...so do, lets say....people who feel cheated...and encourage other people to take up arms and fight on their behalf. It all means something. We're all wired essentially the same way. The psychological power of propaganda was used to drive the Germans into WW2, and it's used by Russia and China to dictate their desired spin to their public to garner support. It's dangerous and it's all ultimately connected via psychology. The guns are just the tool, an all too easy tool that extract catastrophic consequences on those of us who follow cultural idea that 'striving for our dreams' promises significance social worth as rewards for hard work, notable achievements and social service.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote