View Single Post
Old 06-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #106
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think many people would be relieved if Trump just went away.

I'm not sure it's a good look to get him on campaign finance rules that are hard to parse and seem arbitrary coming from his political opponents. Or boxes of documents when classified documents was an issue with Hillary and now with Biden. The Russian pee-document turned out to be a big nothing, and that was the impetus for one of the impeachments, originally.

So if they've got something different, by all means. But it's been looking like the Democrats just don't like Trump and have been abusing the impeachment process and the judicial system for a long time now. That's a better take if you're a Republican.

This is not to argue any one of the many charges against Trump. I really don't know if he broke the law or if there's a case that he should be locked up because it's just so bad that not even Nixon's spying is in the same ballpark. The one charge that sticks with me is the pending case in Georgia - if he actually tried to do what he apparently threatened to do... that should be enough. But it has to be more than the usual bluster that comes from politicians who are upset about an election. Which is not to argue that it isn't - I know this is a heavy D board and arguing politics here is simply not productive.

I think the end game is to ensure he wins the nomination by making the primaries all about Trump, then muddy up the post-convention decision period with trials and such.

So what do you do if you're one of the already too-large group of Republican candidates? If you support prosecution or even hedge right now, you're toast in the debates because the timeline is all wrong - this won't be settled before Iowa - not even close. Your best play is a statement about the weaponization of the judicial system, then try to ignore the circus - maybe even hope it works.

But if you make a big deal about the weaponization issue, you're making Trump the center of attention. Which is just what he wants and just what the Democrats want. So that's a lose, too.

I think the only play is to stamp your feet a little right now, then keep quiet about it. If you're feeling a little itchy, maybe promise a pardon for Trump as your first act as president. But itchy takes aren't exactly going to fly around with this crowd - they just aren't looking to inspire right now, except maybe Ramaswamy, who might be trying to position himself as an answer if the judicial system moves faster than it's going to move in this case.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote