View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Scouting Note

So at the start of a new association I only have access to a letter grade high level overview of a player's abilities, and an OVR rating. to get detailed numeric ratings I have to scout them, even my own players. I have 8 scouting reports available initially, and more are made available on the 1st of every month starting Dec 1st.

I use my initial 8 scouting reports to scout my top 8 rotation players. Apparently higher rated scouts get more scouting reports each month than worse ones. It seems that all scouts will arrive at the same answers, but that better scouts allow one to scout more players. Interesting.

2009/10 Charlotte Bobcats Roster

Starters

PG Raymond Felton - 25 y/o - 6'1 198 lbs" - 74 OVR

Rated 80 or 81 everywhere but from 3, Felton can be an acceptable scorer. His handling and passing ratings are all in the 80-85 range which seems solid. Backup PG DJ Augustin handles the ball better, but Felton is a much better passer. I might have more to say once I've seen more ratings, its hard to know what to make of this so far. The fact that Felton is the 2nd highest rated player on the team seems a real bad thing.

SG Raja Bell - 33 y/o - 6'5" 215 lbs - 71 OVR

Bell is a fairly good 3 point shooter, rated 82 there. Not much of a scorer anywhere else. Bell's ratings are pedestrian to bad except for one thing. The guy can defend. 85 Defensive Awareness is the highest on the team, 99 hustle, and on ball defense of 87, also best on the team. Bell's job will be to shut down the other team's best player.

SF Gerald Wallace - 27 y/o - 6'7" 220 lbs - 80 OVR

Wallace is the star of the team. He's really only rated well inside, but he's rated extremely well there. He needs to attack the rim to be effective. Wallace has added value as a good rebounder and defender with ok awareness on both ends of the floor.

PF Boris Diaw - 27 y/o - 6'8" 235 lbs - 73 OVR

Diaw has a solid all around shot, strong inside but he can hit the 3 as well. His ball handling and passing ratings are acceptable too. 76 in the post on offense. He's brought down by very poor post defense and a total lack of rebounding ability. Awareness and on ball defense in the low 70s are about what's expected on this team.

C Tyson Chandler - 27 y/o - 7'1" 235 lbs - 70 OVR

So this is what $12 million buys you? Chandler is a good post defender, decent shot blocker, great offensive rebounder(96) and pretty good defensive rebounder. good defensive awareness, no offensive awareness at all. Chandler would be a great big man off the bench to eat up minutes and grab some boards, or a great compliment to say Tim Duncan at PF. But yeah, here he just eats cap space and makes the fans cry.

6th Man

PG DJ Augustin - 21 y/o - 6'0" 180 lbs - 70 OVR

Augustin is the best 3 point shooter on the team, rated 85. A good mid-range jumper and ok driving to the hoop as long as he doesn't get pushed around. Augustin is the best ball handler on the team by a lot, 93 hands/91 with his offhand, but his ball security and passing are a little suspect(both under 70). Defensive awareness is ridiculously bad(49!). Looks like a guy that can hit the 3 and handle the ball but can be a liability.

Role Players

C Nazr Mohammed - 32 y/o - 6'10" 250 lbs - 62 OVR

Offensively he is just as average as Chandler, and he's an ok rebounder, but his post defense is rather awful which accounts for the awful low rating. But we've got no depth inside so he'll be out there a bunch.

SG Flip Murray - 30 y/o - 6'3" 200 lbs - 68 OVR

Murray is actually unscouted for individual ratings. B- outside scoring, B- perimeter D, average athlete, average IQ. An acceptable backup on this team.

Prospects

SF Gerald Henderson - 21 y/o - 6'4" 215 lbs - 67 OVR

Henderson was originally slated to get like 3-4 minutes, I've pushed him up to 8th on the depth chart and want to get him double figures to get his progression going. He has some physical skills right now, speed/quickness/leaping, and that's really it. Depending on how much he is capable of growing, he could become Gerald Wallace, or Gerald Wallace light, a guy who can attack inside, dunk, and defend. But right now he has none of that.

Bench Players

SG Stephen Graham - 27 y/o - 6'6" 215 lbs - 56 OVR

Hopefully Never sees the court.

SF Derrick Brown - 22 y/o - 6'8" 227 lbs - 68 OVR

Depending on his ability to progress, Brown could be a good role player on the team. He has an ok outside game and is average elsehwere, he doesn't appear(without any scouting) to be a major liability. But I'm clearly pushing more minutes on Henderson, so Brown looks like he could eventually be ok, but probably isn't part of my plans as a result of that.

PF Vladimir Radmanovic - 28 y/o - 6'10" 235 lbs - 52 OVR

Best not ever see the floor.

C Desagana Diop - 26 y/o - 7'0" 280 lbs - 56 OVR

Some ability to rebound, he'll be the 4th option in the post.

C Alexis Ajinca - 21 y/o - 7'0" 220 lbs - 43 OVR

The #20 pick of the Bobcats out of France in 2008. Busto.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote