View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #204
revrew
Team Chaplain

2031 Draft Coverage:

On draft night in balmy Los Angeles, California, NFL Commissioner James Gordon came to the podium twice to announce the Des Moines Dragons had made trades. The first trade came with Philadelphia, as the Dragons moved down a few spots in the first round and picked up an extra fourth rounder. The second trade came at a steeper cost, as the Dragons moved up several spots in the second round and picked up a 5th at the cost of a 2nd, 3rd, and that 4th rounder Des Moines got from Philly. In the end, it left Des Moines with 7 picks.

Those picks and comments from various gurus are below:

1.18 DE Bo Tremmel, Iowa

Mel Kiper: What you're getting in Tremmel is a strong, smart kid who knows how to push a tackle back into the box. He might have been a better fit in a 3-4 than in Coach O'Dea's 4-3, but with Huering and Reese already terrorizing quarterbacks in Des Moines, Tremmel will not only ensure the Dragons have great depth at a prime position, but I wouldn't be surprised if Des Moines lines up all three monster ends on the line at once on passing downs.

2.4 WR Carlton Agree, Oklahoma State

Todd McShay: Getting Agree as a project wide receiver makes sense for Des Moines. But I keep hearing these rumors that Agree might be converted into a running back. I have one word on that front: Don't. Agree is just too long of a strider now that he's been playing receiver. The running back days are gone. I don't care how desperate you are in the backfield, Des Moines. Don't do it.

4.12 DT Harris Fredrickson, Iowa

Daniel Jeremiah: Des Moines has put themselves over a barrel by having to pick Iowa players, but here's a fortunate bounce where the player available meets need. Fredrickson is a big body, single-gap player, and should provide good depth for the Dragon's 4-3 scheme.

5.4 QB Lester Fox, Iowa

Mel Kiper: Fox has the physical tools, a good athlete with a live arm. Whether he can develop his game and become a capable starter, however, remains to be seen. But the Dragons can drop him into the #3 or #4 spot on their depth chart and give him time.

5.11 SLB Zachery Patmon, Iowa

Todd McShay: I like this pick. Patmon is an NFL-caliber athlete, and getting him in the 5th round is a good value for Des Moines.

6.17 FS Junior Brechbill, Iowa State

Mel Kiper: Let me tell you what you're getting with Brechbill – a hammer, a head hunter, a safety who emphasizes the "bump" in bump and run. He has a history of injury concerns, but this late in the draft, Des Moines gets great value and upside.

7.16 RG Bert Emerson, Iowa State

Todd McShay: This feels like a need pick here. Emerson is undersized, short arms, and even though it's the seventh round, it looks more like Des Moines is trying to fill holes on the roster than drafting for talent.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote