View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #207
revrew
Team Chaplain

An interview with Dragons Head Coach Kevin O'Dea
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

The final preseason game is in the books, the last of the roster cuts have been made, and the first official depth chart of the season has been released. So I sat down with Coach Kevin O'Dea on the eve of his sixth NFL season as skipper of the Des Moines Dragons.

I asked him first about the crowded situation in the backfield. Running back Jimmy Perot was one of the team's final roster cuts, while last year draftee Douglass Flagg sits atop the depth chart, followed by rookie convert from wide receiver, Carlton Agree. I asked him what he's seen from Flagg and Agree in the preseason and how confident he is in Flagg as the starter.

"Carlton [Agree] has shown the kind of big-play ability for which we drafted him, but Flagg has demonstrated a better grasp of the offense and the vision needed to made consistent, positive runs," O'Dea said. "We're excited about where Agree is going, what he could develop into, but this preseason, we believe Flagg has earned the starting spot. We're going to move forward with Flagg getting the bulk of the carries and hoping to spell him with Carlton adding a spark."

But are either of them the answer to the Dragons' long-standing rushing woes?

"Neither have had the opportunity to prove it week in and week out," O'Dea replied. "But Flagg will get that chance, and I believe the skills are there to be an effective back."

It wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement, but it was at least a firm decision, which is more than the Dragons could boast last season.

Speaking of last season, the Dragons were streaky – dropping five games to start the season but winning the last three. I asked the coach which version of the Dragons fans could expect to see this year.

"Neither," was his reply. "Those last three games we won without scoring 20 points in any of them. That's a testament to how good our defense can be. But that's not the offense we're looking to put on the field. We have a veteran quarterback now, a receiving corps that may surprise some people … we plan to be better than the team that won those three games at the end of last season."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.

Last edited by revrew : 06-19-2019 at 08:07 AM.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote