View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #426
Radii
Head Coach

-- I miss out on the last big splash loaner I was trying to bring in. Liverpool MC Sam Cook isn't going to be coming here. I go back out in search of another target.

League Cup 1st Round Draw

We draw a home match but its an unlikely one to win as we'll be hosting Championship side Coventry, a team that has finished in the top 10 in the Championship league each of the last two seasons. ,

New Free Transfer Signing

-- We take care of a backup GK, its a clear backup though and if Lynch can't cut it at this level we have a ton of work to do. We bring in 17 y/o Jason James, the current U21 Welsh goalkeeper. 17 balance, 12 jumping, 10 agility... 10 bravery, 10 concentration, only 7 positioning and 6 composure. The reason to sign him, besides the fact that he's basically free and should improve, is 15 handling and 14 reflexes.

James will make $150/wk but is a better backup than the reserve crap i have now. This gives me a slightly warmer body if Lynch gets hurt, that's all.

-- As July 10th rolls around the two free transfers I was hoping for have received offers from 5+ teams each and I believe its very unlikely that i'll sign either. I keep my offers out there but I'm basically moving on.

Here's a quick update of my depth chart

GK: Kevin Lynch/Jason James
DL: Stelios Nikolaou/---
DC: Marc/Vince Taylor/Christian Smith/---
DR: Abu Ogogo/Craig Alcock
DMC: Vince Taylor/Simon Ferry
MC: Ed Upson/Joe O'Sullivan/Simon Ferry
AML: Mickael Colin/Zoltan Harsanyi
AMR: Dany N'Guessan/---Abu Ogogo---
FC: Constantino/Zoltan Harsanyi/Danijel Subotic/Mathew Peterson

Some holes have been filled, a 4th DC probably wouldn't hurt, a DL backup,and an AMR backup are both necessary.

The new loan offers I went out and made were both for high quality MC.

New Loanee

We bring in a central midfielder, he may not be exactly what I was hoping to get at first but he fills out our depth and could easily earn a starting job. 18 y/o Arsenal Youth MC Paulo will be our fourth and final full season loan this year. He's valued at $2.6 million and makes $9500/wk for Arsenal for whatever that's worth.

Paulo isn't the strongest (str 8) but he's fast (pace 15/accel 13) with good balance and agility (15 each). He shows solid decision making (13), Determination (12), and Flair (13), his positioning and off the ball play is acceptable but not great. His technical abilities look quite solid, passing (14), Heading (14), First Touch(12), Marking (9), Tackling (8), Technique (14), he can finish pretty well and shoot from pretty good range, both nice bonuses for a MC.

He's better than O'Sullivan in all but 2 or 3 ratings across the entire board.

Friendly #2

We play the Glen Hoddle Academy and get crushed by them. Its tied 3:3 at the half, we have two goals disallowed due to offsides before they score 4 times in the final 15 minutes.

Woking 3 : 7 GH Academy

Injury Update

DR Craig Alcock was hurt in the 2nd half today and will miss 2 months with a dislocated shoulder. doh!

-- One of the free transfer players we went after has signed with Cardiff up in the Championship, we had no shot.

New Signing

Welcome 28 y/o DL Rhoys Wiggins to Woking. Wiggins has spent most of his career in the Welsh Premier League putting up crazy good ratings for TNS (The New Saints) after coming up through Crystal Palace's youth system.

He looks like a decent, but not spectacular, all around player, the type of guy we need to back up Nikolaou. 13 pace/11 accel is nice since our DL's get foward a lot. No Mental Attributes re below 9, most are in the 9-11 range with Determination up at 14. 10 Marking, 10 Passing, 12 Tackling, 11 Crossing, 11 First Touch, solid but not spectacular.

Wiggins will make $1100/wk in a "backup" role. He can only play DL, which is a bit unfortunate as we would love a utility guy that can play all over the defense, but it fills a need.

We lose out on a couple other free guys we were looking at, including a couple that would have filled AMR depth.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote