View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #118
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Journeys Begin

6 May, 1550 – the Papal States declared war against Tuscany. I agree to join them.

During that war, I must have missed the Ottomans and the Mamluks coming to peace terms, and Hungary and Austria doing so as well.

1 April, 1551 – Napoli and Palermo are now a part of our patrimony and are core provinces.

1 May, 1551 – Tired of this war with the Papal States, I order my troops into Roma.

1 June, 1551 – I win the battle of Roma in 5 days, and then assault the city and win it in 8.

3 June, 1551 – The Papal States accept being our vassal and give us 50 ducats.

8 July, 1551 – I order a level two fort built in Lombardia. I order constables built in Napoli and Ferrara. A constable increases revolt risk by 2 but also increases our taxes from the province.

20 October, 1551 – Kazan declares war upon Hungary.

3 December, 1551 – I initiate a RM: Great Britain.

1 January, 1552 – I order another Caravel built in Naxos.

12 January, 1552 – RM: Austria

1 January, 1553 – Our naval tech increases. I recruit an explorer. I send our new explorer, Stephanos Giustaianini, as the head of our exploratory navy with a pair of Caravels. They’ll head out and explore new sea lanes for us.

1 February, 1553 – Our government tech increases. We can now choose a new national idea. Ironically, we just now used our last idea, Quest for the New World last month. Here are some ideas:

Colonial Ventures: 1 extra colonist annually. If I am serious about colonization, this is the way to do it.

Engineer Corps: My military leaders get +1 siege. Level two forts are just now appearing, but our land tech has kept up so far, so there is no need for this yet, to my mind at least.

Deus Vult: If I am about to be forced into wars with the Mamluks or the Ottomans, better to choose them on my terms, and this would allow me to do so.

Church Attendance Duty – Stability cost modifier -33%. Getting this cost reduction is handier the bigger I get.

National Bank – Inflation reduction of 0.1. (annually I believe). Not bad at all.

Bureaucracy – National taxes by %5. A very decent increase and solid enough.

I think we can find something good here. I think I can put off Engineer Corp and National Bank for now. That leaves Colonial Ventures, Deus Vult, Bureaucracy and Church Attendance Duty. Tough.

Deus Vult allows me to take Tunisia, then plan for and execute a war against the Mamluks. No stability hits. Bureaucracy adds to my coffers, but I am doing alright there nowadays. I can cut that. Colonial Ventures allows me to get colonists without raping my sliders or hiring advisors. Church Attendance Duty slashes costs to increase my stability nicely.

Deus Vult, Colonial Ventures or Church Attendance Duty.

I decide to push it and go for Colonial Ventures.

23 February, 1553 – My exploring fleet has arrived in the Gulf of Morocco. I order them south into seas unknown.

28 February, 1553 – Starting today, I have discovered new areas. I need an abbreviation for this, so it will look like this. NSD: Sea of Canaries. NLD: Safi, Castillean. NSD stands for new sea discovery and NLD stands for new land discovery.

I’m going to head south down the African coast for now.

22 March, 1553 – NSD: Coast of Gambia, NLD: Sierra Leone. (Land is sometimes discovered when you sail an explorer along a coast, but not always). Sierra Leone is unclaimed territory. And IVORY.

30 March, 1553 – NSD: Gold Coast, NLD: Grain Coast. (Unclaimed SPICES province)

7 April, 1553 – NSD: Ivory Coast.

14 April, 1553 – NSD: Golf of Nigeria, NLD: Fernando Po, unclaimed, NLD: Bonny and Calabar, Kanem Bornu provinces. I enter into a trade agreement with Kanem Bornu.

20 April, 1553 - NSD: Coast of Cameroon, NLD Cameroon, unclaimed.

27 April, 1553 – NSD: Golf of Kongo, NLD: Kisarna, unclaimed.

6 May, 1553 – NSD: Coast of Angola, NLD: Damaraland (IVORY) and Greater Namaqualand, both unclaimed.

17 May, 1553 – NSD: Coast of Nambia.

26 May, 1553 – NSD: Cape of Good Hope. There’s four Great Britain fleets and one Castillean one here as well. Busy sea.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote