View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #148
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Just curious...how are the powers that dominated this period historically doing? (i.e. England, France, Spain, Germany, etc.)

There is no Germany during this period. Either historically or in this game.

Great Britain is okay, although their colonization efforts are focused on South American, not the north. They have some provinces in Scandanavia and Ireland.

France is about the same as rl. They haven't begun to assex their vassals. They have decent colonizations. This was not an era of French dominace, in real life, because of European wars.

Sweden, which was a major player during this time normally, is down to a handful of provinces. No colonization efforts by Sweden, unlike real life (at least thus far)

Austria is a major, major player in both real life politically (Hapsburgs) and in this game geographically - they have large swaths of land.

Obviously, in the game, Spain never formed. There's Castille and Aragon instead - its component pieces. Castille has a lot of power however. Less colonial power, but a lot more North African power - so it porbably averages out hte same.

Portugal was a major, major colonial power during this time in the game, with colonies all over America, Africa, the spice islands, India, Malacca, etc. In this game, their colonies are almost all in North Amercia, but they have massively expanded in North America, taking out tribes and gobbling land at a very quick clip.

The Ottomans were a major power in Europe duiring this time, and still are.

Saxony's doing very well for itself. As is Hamburg. Burgundy is still around (in real life, Burgundy was building a powerful country when the young duke got offed in battle and the country was split up).

How about a list to help you out?

My personal choices for the top five powers in Europe, currently:

1). Austria. They have a ton of land, they took out Poland, Hungary, parts of Lithuania, parts of Scanadanvia. They stretch from the Adriatic to the Baltic.

2). The Ottomans. They've gained some serious land in Europe in the eastern parts, and along with ally Crimea, they have some some serious power. They also have the most valuable province in Europe, Thrace.

3). Castille. Their combination of advnaced soldiers and large amounts of land makes them very, very, powerful.

4). Burgundy. The combinations of the wealthy Dutch provinces and the best COT in the game currently in Dutch territory with one of the most advanced armies in the game make them a power.

5). Naxos. I honestly beleive that we are powerful enough to win a war against all ofthe other major powers if we prepared for it. But no thte Turks, Austrians, Castilleans or Bugundains. Even if taken by surprise, I feel that they would win against us.

Now, if you include colonial power, Portugal would leap frog over us.

Hope that answers some questions!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote