View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
You can't be serious. It's not hard.

Talk about the wussification of America. "Oh Bluto, we can't play tennis it's too hard."

That's not what I meant. But thanks.

It was meant to be a way to ease the barriers to entry to tennis. Because kids see it and think "that's too hard" or "I won't play that when I can pick up a baseball or a basketball or a football or a soccer ball or a video game controller" and learn/play that.

My goal first and foremost was to get a racquet in their hand and get them interested in playing the sport, then we could work on details like "here's how you keep score" rather than making that one of the first lessons.

Also, kids like to play. They don't want to be inundated with learning how to do fine minutia of what comprises the right backhand. So you have to create things to keep them engrossed, to get them interested and before you know it, they seek you out to learn more and to get better.

So no, I didn't bother wasting a whole lot of time trying to teach them tennis scoring. I put a racquet in their hand, taught them lessons and let them join leagues where they could apply their newfound knowledge against their peers immediately. As they gained experience, the scoring and everything else was integrated into their lessons.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote