View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

As with any sport Tennis has its traditions. The scoring system has been under attack for decades, especially in the United States where Americans want "instant total gratificatoin" they want everything handed to them on the simplest most feeder friendly platter possible.

Tennis is a challenging mental ches match with your opponent that has developed to what it is from very crude beginnings in the middle ages. The scoring system, while eccentric, is one of the most intrinsic traditions in ANY sport.

Would you change Golf scoring from Birdie, Eagle and bogey to simple "-1, -2, and +1" ? no, because the terminology is what ads to the sport.

The scoring system does not deter anyone from playing the game, because unless they get on the court and try to play they aren't really that interested to begin with.

I will agree that Tennis in the US is in severe decline. The American great players have vanished and the huge whirlwind of interest that built it up in the 80's and 90's has begun to ebb away.

For myself I love the game because it has al the elements I enjoy. Great physical excercise, precision skills, and a solid stratigic element to every point played.

your Mileage may vary.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote