View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I just think about how day in, day out there seems to be a lack of rallies in high level men's matches.

It's possible I'm mistaken as my tennis viewership has declined over the years.

Actually for the most part in recent years the Serve and volley points have really declined. most players tend to rally for a few shots on every point these days. Players like nadal and Federer have really caused a decline in serve and volley games because they're so fast and athletic they can get back in position faster than the server can place a good volley.

The only problem with it being an everyman sport the way you say is still somewhat a matter of expense. Even with using free courts and 30 buck rackets from wal-mart you can play and have fun, but to really grow into the sport and excel as a youth you have to move beyond that level of investment.

Even to play high school level today you have to go beyond the basics as players that show any real talent for the game get pushed into club systems and take lessons as the parents want to see them excel (most times far beyond what the kid really wants to do)

I think there is a pretty wide line that people come to as tennis fans and players, you reach a cetain point where you either have to find a venue to play newer and better people (aka joining a club or joining USTA sponsored events and leagues) to improve and advance yourself within the game, or you decide its not worth the time and expense and stay at the "pickup game" level at the local high school courts. The problem with the latter is that people get tired of playing the same few people all the time so they tend to quit playing altogether.

When I worked for USTA New England in 2001-2003 I really had a hard time adapting to the mentality of the "tennis society" the people that really got in depth in the sport and got their kids playing at high levels within the region were like a whole differnet country. They spoke a different language, they had a very elitist mindset, and that, above most everything else is perhaps what is really damaging tennis in this country. instead of welcoming and really shepherding young people into the game, there is a sense of entitlement for those already there that I think needs to be overcome.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-30-2008 at 02:27 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote