View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
See I think tennis is a terrific everyman sport. It's accessible to most people. All you need is a racquet and a can of balls. At least here, public courts are plentiful. I used to play a ton of tennis as a kid...pickup games if you will. I took a few lessons...those would be akin to say basketall camp.

Where the game falls down is that very perception that it's a country club sport. Golf has done well to dispel that to a degree. Tennis has failed miserably partly due to the lack of personalities in the game. What made the old guard great was their flair. Nowdays tennis seems to showcase the athletics of the game which is no match for major sports...at least from the youth point of view.

You're right on the personalities thing. I think really the problem with tennis is that it's run by players. The ATP and WTA tours do more harm than good for their sports. They need people who are a bit removed from the sport to run it, rather than the way it's setup now. I mean, it does well considering how little it's fallen off the mainstream and I realize a lot of that has to do with the lack of American champions on the world stage...but...the game is still suffering and it won't improve unless there are things outside of the box considered to make it a bit more appealing to younger audiences.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote