View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
When I worked for USTA New England in 2001-2003 I really had a hard time adapting to the mentality of the "tennis society" the people that really got in depth in the sport and got their kids playing at high levels within the region were like a whole differnet country. They spoke a different language, they had a very elitist mindset, and that, above most everything else is perhaps what is really damaging tennis in this country. instead of welcoming and really shepherding young people into the game, there is a sense of entitlement for those already there that I think needs to be overcome.

I don't think you'll rid the sport of that, though. I know exactly what you're talking about. Those people ARE the USTA. No matter how much outreach the sport does, it's still a country club/private club sport with $100/hr private lessons even at the "local" clubs and expenses beyond the ordinary.

Add to it that parents can't relate, that it's not a team sport and requires a severe investment to get to the higher levels and well, it's no wonder that it's on the decline as a high school sport.

I don't fault the USTA. They've been funneling money into outreach for a lot longer than the USGA has with FAR better results, I'd say. They seem genuinely interested in outreach and growing the game, where I think with golf it's mostly rhetoric and little else.

But in some ways, it's just a cultural thing with tennis being a sport that prides itself on being the interesting mix of common players and those who wear white shirts and don't have crusts on their bread.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote