View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
The tough part is that it's hard to manufacture personalities. You either have them or you don't.

Golf was lucky that Tiger came along. Tennis needs another Agassi.

Yeah, you can't invent that stuff sadly.

I really do think that my idea mentioning Twenty20 cricket v. Test Cricket is the best example of what has to happen to tennis. Basically, some rich guy decided that regular cricket (of which can often take as long as 5 days or an entire day) was too long and boring and so, he decided to make a version that would last about as long as a baseball game.

People are calling it heresy and are really mad about it and yet, the fans love it and Indian has an entire new pro league based on the form of cricket that they've really gotten into. It's taken the sport to new heights there and around the world where it'd kinda fallen flat in recent years.

Someone rich who loves tennis needs to come along and try a bunch of stuff that the actual people who run the sport would NEVER do. Some of it will be heresy and the rest of it will be intriguing, but I think that if you could tweak a few things and maybe change the dynamics of how stuff matches up, it could be interesting.

Maybe instead of just having tournaments you make it more like boxing and have championship belts or have "queen of the hill" type deals where the best players challenge each other and it becomes more about personalities and "who is better" than about "the prestige" of winning JUST the grand slams. Let the fans cheer for the whole match and root for their favourite player.

If you were doing it with low enough ranked players, maybe have men play against women.

So like a whole parallel set of stuff. The regular players could still play in the Grand Slams and the Olympics and maybe Davis/Fed Cup stuff if they want, but instead of playing at the Timbuktu Open, they can do this other stuff. It's way better for sponsors, offers far more bang for the buck and well...I think it could be interesting.

I'm thinking way off the beaten path here

All without changing the scoring
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote