View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #327
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Long Course State Championships @ Savannah

THURSDAY NIGHT

1500 Meters - Bear came into this event never having swum the 1500. He qualified for it by getting a state cut in the 800 (which isn't offered at State for boys). I thought he'd be a bit uptight about it, but he really was suprisingly calm. Even when he was presented with the fact that he would be sharing a lane with another swimmer, it didn't phase him (the funny thing...Bear and the other boy in his lane, actually brushed hands at one point in the race. It was so minor it didn't bother either of them, but an inch more and it could have been ugly)...

Having never done this event before, the coaches decided the best bet was to try and keep Bear on a pace to be under the state cut time of 22:29.00, so in essence they wanted him to be 1:30/100 Meters. The coach told me to watch him for signals that I could let Bear know how he was doing when I put the lap counter in the water for him. The race started and Bear was good. The second 100, I had to give him the signal to pick it up. From there he was solid until about 500 meters to go, when I had to give him the go faster sign again. The in the last 300 Bear closed with a 1:26, 1:24, and 1:22. If you are wondering, he opened with a 1:24. His final time was a 22:02.37 and he not only earned the cut, but he got the cut for next year too, so he'll be swimming the 1650 at short course state for sure and he'll get this one again at next years long course meet.

The coaches were thoroughly impressed with his finish, and even indicated if they had known he was going to handle this race that well, they would have set a harder/faster split for him to maintain. As it turns out he was only 15 seconds from getting the bronze metal...

Last edited by Breeze : 07-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote