View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #341
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

YSSC Thanksgiving Invitational – Nov 8 – 10, Spartanburg, SC

Bailey (better dives/starts/turns are one of the primary focuses of this meet)

200 IM – 2:48.53 – Breast is coming around, and coach has told her to push hard through the back portion…I think we’ll see an improvement here.

500 Free – Not thrilled about swimming this one…we’ll see if she pushes hard on it or not. If she does, she’ll improve, if she pouts she won’t.

400 IM – Entered but won’t swim it…This is an open event (everybody from all age groups swim the same race). They are only allowing 48 swimmers in the event, and she’s seeded lower than that because she is coming in with a NT…

200 Free Relay – Bailey will swim the third leg on the C relay team.

200 Back – NT – Bailey has this state cut, because of long course last season, but her coach wants her to earn the short course cut time. She thinks she can do it in this race.

50 Fly – 33.18 – Thinks she can get the cut here as well

100 Free – 1:07.57 – Working on getting higher elbows in this stroke and it is taking a while for her to get the benefit from the change. Not sure if it will show up in this race or not

200 Free – 2:31.12 – see the 100 above

50 Back – 35.20 – she thinks she’s primed to do well here – and I think she will as long as she doesn’t go too deep on the start and turn.

100 Fly – 1:14.84 – expect a similar time to her seed here (unless she is worn out from all the other events above)

Note: Because Bailey won’t be swimming the 400 IM, the coach is considering having her deck enter the 200 fly. She is again intimidated by that…we’ll see how it plays out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear (needs to work on racing all these new changes to his strokes…stop being so deliberate)

200 IM - 2:52.71 – If he attacks the race, should drop his time some. Fly is better, but it wears him out so the back half of that 50 may tell the tail on his results.

500 Free - 6:20.64 – Top seeded 11 year old, and he has more speed in him. When he swam this earlier this season he coasted too much. We’ll see how much he drops this time around.

400 IM – like Bailey, won’t be swimming it for exactly the same reason

200 Free Relay – Bear will lead off the C relay with 3 of his buddies from the team…

200 Breast – NT – I know he’s done this event before…but doesn’t matter his time coming in isn’t great. I expect he’ll do ok here. If he could somehow keep a steady rhythm, he might actually do good.

100 IM – 1:22.29 – could improve significantly here. Not saying he will, but if he pushes hard, he could drop several seconds.

100 Free - 1:10.83 – His free has looked good lately, hopefully it will translate to improved times.

1000 Free – Bear will not be swimming this event for the same reason he isn’t swimming the 400 IM…AND HE IS VERY BUMMED ABOUT IT….

200 Medley Relay – Bear has the fly leg on the C relay…

100 Fly – 1:26.59 – Bear’s fly is technically better, but I’m not sure it is faster than his Personal Best from the past. I do think we are approaching that number, and he’s certainly faster than he has been during the stroke transformation and growth spurt, hopefully he’ll get a new PB in this one. It would be very helpful for his self esteem

50 Free – 31.46 – Hoping he can get sub 31…

200 Back – 2:45.26 – If he can stay straight…and he goes hard, he should improve his time.

Note: Coach is looking for additional events for Bear to deck enter given the events that he didn’t qualify for…and 200 fly isn’t out of play…
-----------------------------------------------------------

Brett

200 IM - 2:46.58 - It's all on the fly. A good opening leg and he'll get a personal best.

500 Free – 6:52.84 – I expect a HUGE improvement here. 30 seconds would not surprise me.

100 Breast – 1:20.44 – had a big improvement earlier this season, not sure we are ready for another one

200 Back – 2:58.13 – Brett’s been improvement significantly this season, hopefully, he continue here

400 IM – NT – Brett will be swimming this…and he’s not thrilled. If his improved fly will hold up for a 100, he could post a decent time

200 Free – 2:21.21 – he’s improved here already this season thanks to improved stamina…

200 Breast - 2:59.00 – Could see a drop coming in this one.

100 Fly - 1:29.94 – like Bear, his stroke is much better than it has been, but it hasn’t completely translated to speed. I hope that he gets a personal best here…it would be big for him

1000 Free – Like Bear he won’t be swimming this event.

Note: Coach is also looking for additional events for Brett…

Last edited by Breeze : 11-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote