View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #848
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

Brett has had a really tough year. He started with a shoulder injury, followed by sickness, appendicitis, and then sickness again. Every time between the incidents getting back in the pool to try and restart his swimming. Something that is extremely hard to do given that the rest of the team is churning our yards, while Brett is trying to get back in shape.

Brett's tough year isn't limited to just swimming though. He's been hit really hard with the news of my cancer. It's really caused him to lose motivation in school, as well as getting with friends. Moreover, he has had to watch as Bear's swimming (the sport he loves and is the only reason Bear swims at all) reached extreme highs, that he knows he'll never reach.

All this is really weighing on him, and I'm not sure how to handle it. It breaks my heart to see him struggle so. He had such a tough time during elementary school because of his ADHD, and now he's got all this hanging over his head. I've tried to let him know that he doesn't have to swim like Bear to be successful, and that I'm as proud of his accomplishments as I am of his siblings, but he doesn't really believe it. He still views things from the teenage vantage point of - is what you accomplished worthy of recognition...not from a more adult perspective of - how hard to did work and in the case of swimming - how much did you improve (regardless of what the improved time is).

I wish I could make things better for him, but because wishing won't fix anything, I really hope I can make him understand!

Last edited by Breeze : 02-23-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote